Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

How about bears?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
A really good friend of mine (first person dumb enough to try smoke at my request) has invited me on a New Brunswick bear hunt. I originally told him I wasn't going, but they have had a hunter cancel out just today. I had told him a month or so ago that if someone did drop out, I may tag along. So, he called today and wanted to know if I wanted in. Last year is the first year in several that I didn't stray too far from home trying to kill something, and I am ready to pack a bag again. Anyway, I told my wife about it and she said she was fine with me going...but we would discuss it further when I get home. )

I've never been on a bear hunt. I've always heard it is a great deal of fun due to only hunting in the evenings, and fishing all day. That sounds like a pretty good way to spend your time to me. So, fill me in... If you've been on a black bear hunt, I'd like to hear about it. Help me out here, make me look forward to the trip if you can!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I agree. Good luck to Brock AND Archer! Cool stuff guys. I am jealous. Wish I had more to offer. It is on my list to do.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Interesting. I didn't realize so many wanted to do it. Its never been something I wanted to do all that bad, likely because they don't have antlers. But, what the heck, you only live once so I may as well go and see what it's all about. Thanks for the thoughts, fellas.

badger

*Supporting Member*
I went to northern Quebec years ago on a bow hunt. I would suggest a thermocell, or learning how to shoot with a bug suit on. Don't rule out bug spray either. The black flies and skeeters can be a real bitch. Our guide would spray "off" all around the bait sites for the bears to get used to the smell. He also would spray liquid smoke around the bait sites then give each hunter a spray bottle of it to spray themselves with to cover up human scent. I'm sure the smoker ya'll use would do the same thing.

Judging the size of a bear can be real tough. I suggest talking with your guide about that so you don't slip up and shoot a small one. Our guide had small jars of sow in heat scent that you could hang in a tree. He suggested we hang it as high as we could reach, and if a boar was interested he might stand up to investigate. It gives you and idea of the size of the bear. He was right on with this idea. On the ninth day of my hunt, I had a bear come in that went straight to the bait which I was telling myself was too small to shoot. He would go to the bait and take a pastry and go to the bush to eat it. He repeated this a few times before he smelled the scent jar. Then he did exactly what he was supposed to and stood up to find the smell. When he did this I couldn't believe how big he really was. I ended up botching the shot and hit him in the hams. The best I could hope for was the femoral, but I wasn't that lucky and didn't get my bear.

There's more about the hunt I could share with you later, but I'm running out of time. We are headed down to Colombus for an awards banquet for my wife. I'll check back to this thread once we check into our room.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
2 of my hunting buddies went on a hunt in Maine last August and absolutely loved it. I wish I could've made the trip but it just wasn't in the finances at the time. Both killed bears (Frank's was a B&C that Longdraw is doing a skull mount for.), and it's definitely a hunt that we'll try to plan again in the future. If you want I can pass along their contact info to talk to them first hand.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That sounds like a pretty good adventure, Badger. I decided after our last elk hunt that I wasn't taking time away from home to do anything hard. By that I mean if I ever elk hunt again, I am doing it with a rifle. If I ever get around to hunting antelope - rifle. Mule deer- rifle. I have gotten past the point of wanting to prove anything to myself, I just want to have fun...I no longer need to suffer to feel like I "earned" something. On my first elk trip, I drove straight to NM by myself, set up camp, changed clothes and shot a bull with a longbow at 4 steps the first time I ever blew a cow call. I decided I liked elk hunting, and have covered hundreds of miles on foot trying to re-live the luckiest moment I ever had...it hasn't happened in spite of several close calls. The fun has left the pursuit. So, I'm thinking loafing in a tree over a pile of doughnuts might just be right up my alley!:) And, I like fishing far more than sex, so if I can combine fishing and loafing in a tree, I just don't see the downside!:)

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
2 of my hunting buddies went on a hunt in Maine last August and absolutely loved it. I wish I could've made the trip but it just wasn't in the finances at the time. Both killed bears (Frank's was a B&C that Longdraw is doing a skull mount for.), and it's definitely a hunt that we'll try to plan again in the future. If you want I can pass along their contact info to talk to them first hand.

Thanks for the offer, but as far as this trip is concerned the planning is all done. My buddy that invited me along has had this thing booked for a good while and all the details are taken care of. It is the first week of October I think. Probably going to be a bit chilly up there. A guy I worked for 15 years ago invited me along on their annual Maine bear trip every year, and at the time it didn't seem like something I wanted to do...really wish I had as he was a close friend and passed suddenly. One reason I'd like to make this trip stems from that leason learned. This friend has had some serious health issues the last few years (just had a mass removed from his brain a couple of months back), and one reason I'd like to tag along is to sorta keep an eye on him.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Thanks for the offer, but as far as this trip is concerned the planning is all done. My buddy that invited me along has had this thing booked for a good while and all the details are taken care of. It is the first week of October I think. Probably going to be a bit chilly up there. A guy I worked for 15 years ago invited me along on their annual Maine bear trip every year, and at the time it didn't seem like something I wanted to do...really wish I had as he was a close friend and passed suddenly. One reason I'd like to make this trip stems from that leason learned. This friend has had some serious health issues the last few years (just had a mass removed from his brain a couple of months back), and one reason I'd like to tag along is to sorta keep an eye on him.

No problem Brock, sounds like you've got everything covered. You're gonna have a great time, plus the time spent outdoors with good friends is always time well spent no matter what!

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
Going through some old pics I ran across a bunch from my bear hunt in Quebec. I took my bow but ended up killing my bear from the ground with my slug gun. It was my first guided trip and was a blast, the bear made it even better. I guess whatcha wanna know Brock?? It would probably be easier to call me. DO NOT UNDER ESTIMATE THE BUGS OR YOU WILL WANT TO KILL YOURSELF!!

The camp i went to is still in operation and his "marketing" is still crappy but I looked and old Serge still runs the camp. http://www.duckswild.com/coucoushee/ This would be a cool place for a group of guys to go and it is not too expensive..

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Going through some old pics I ran across a bunch from my bear hunt in Quebec. I took my bow but ended up killing my bear from the ground with my slug gun. It was my first guided trip and was a blast, the bear made it even better. I guess whatcha wanna know Brock?? It would probably be easier to call me. DO NOT UNDER ESTIMATE THE BUGS OR YOU WILL WANT TO KILL YOURSELF!!

The camp i went to is still in operation and his "marketing" is still crappy but I looked and old Serge still runs the camp. http://www.duckswild.com/coucoushee/ This would be a cool place for a group of guys to go and it is not too expensive..

hehe, I've heard that story a time or two... funny stuff. "On the ground? Yeah, let me just put this recurve back"...

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
The bugs should be at bay somewhat. My Dad once fished the first week of September up there and said it was unbearably cold soon as the sun went down.

JPN

coshocton
I have killed 2 bears in Ontario. I went in august and in september and the bugs werent bad at all. I love hunting bears Im sure you'll have a blast.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm sure I would have. As of today, I am not going. My friend recently had a brain surgery, and for the last two days he has not been able to get out of bed. He did call me to get a definate yes or no answer, and after telling me he has been too sick to get up, I decided I would not go. I don't want to agree to going just to go with him and then have hime not be able to go...I have no interest in hunting with his uncles if he isn't able to go. Apparently, one of the uncles has a buddy that wanted to go and when he told me that it made my decision easy. Oh well...

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
I have hunted bears 3 times in Minnesota, and have shot 2. The last one was a 17 year old 330 pound dry sow. I am hoping my 11 year old son and I are going to draw permits and hunt them again this year. It is alot of fun and pretty exciting when you see them coming in. I would bring a thermacell just in case the bugs are bad. Good luck I hope you get a chance at a nice one.