Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Garden progress.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Went out and furrowed up the garden yesterday.. she is 30 x 20.. Tilled it twice a couple weeks ago and let it resettle.. I have the plants started at the house and they are doing good. Just waiting on the last threat of frost to pass and I'll plant..

Started From Seed.
7- Pole Beans
7- Snow Peas
7 - Greenbean Bush
7- Cucumber
7 - Okra
Bundle of Red Onion as space allows.

From Bonnie in Peat pots
3 - Betterboy
3 - Beefsteak
3 - Sweet 100 Cherry
3 - jalapeno
4- Green Bell pepper
2- Chili pepper
2- Banana pepper

The Cucumber is going to run a trellis on a 45 degree angle off the side of the garden to conserve space. Still need to cut poles for the beans and put down paper and hay..

Huckleberry Finn

Looks like a really nice plot and a good location for a garden! Looks like a good list of plants too.

Man, I miss gardening!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Sure wish I had got a garden in this year. This will be the last year I say that...

Looks good Joe! Hope it makes for some tasty eats this summer!!!

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Sure wish I had got a garden in this year. This will be the last year I say that...

Looks good Joe! Hope it makes for some tasty eats this summer!!!

build a raised bed garden...still got time man. a couple hours and you can have a frame done ready for dirt...i switched to raised bed this year for ease and simplicity

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
build a raised bed garden...still got time man. a couple hours and you can have a frame done ready for dirt...i switched to raised bed this year for ease and simplicity

Great Idea but it's at the GFs dads place.. And tilling is easier with the tractor tiller. I don't know anyone close with a hand tiller.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Great Idea but it's at the GFs dads place.. And tilling is easier with the tractor tiller. I don't know anyone close with a hand tiller.

you dont tiller with raised beds...only maybe first thing to incorporate new compost....

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
you dont tiller with raised beds...only maybe first thing to incorporate new compost....

What do you do about compaction? I think the less a plant has to strain to push roots, the better their root system does and they produce better.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
What do you do about compaction? I think the less a plant has to strain to push roots, the better their root system does and they produce better.

you dont compact...you just throw the soil in and water will do some compaction. the point of a raised bed is its not to be walked on and compacted. Soil will naturally compact by cosolidation and water movement. but not overly so by mechanical means. I plan to throw compost on and rake it into the top layer next year

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
OK I see pole beans and okra but where's the mustard and collards greens, sweet potatoes and limas??? And you call yourself a southerner?lmao

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
you dont compact...you just throw the soil in and water will do some compaction. the point of a raised bed is its not to be walked on and compacted. Soil will naturally compact by cosolidation and water movement. but not overly so by mechanical means. I plan to throw compost on and rake it into the top layer next year

I meant normal compaction from water, settling etc... So you plant in smaller boxes.. like 5x5 or 5x30..... Something you can walk along side of? At 30x20 i would have to walk on it..

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I meant normal compaction from water, settling etc... So you plant in smaller boxes.. like 5x5 or 5x30..... Something you can walk along side of? At 30x20 i would have to walk on it..

i am building 4x8 boxes so they can be tended to from both sides. The better soil also lets you plant food closer together as they wont have to compete for nutrients and water. right now I have a 4x4 one up that has 12 lettuce starts, 1 dozen shallots and 2 rows of sugar snap peas in it. You do have to water more but that sure as hell beats pulling weeds. the compaction is a non issue...even a rototiller compacts the soil somewhat at the bottom. You will get what is called hard pan and thats when you have to hit it with a plow...I'm going to be building a couple more and will take pictures

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Wish I had the space for a garden. If I did I'd be rockin some raised beds, too. My mom has 4 or 5 raised beds down at her place and it's the cat's pajamas.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Nice! This is why I want I want some land. You can only do so much in my backyard. Well, I could always make the entire backyard a garden. :smiley_chinrub:

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Nice! This is why I want I want some land. You can only do so much in my backyard. Well, I could always make the entire backyard a garden. :smiley_chinrub:

Would definately beat mowing it.

Looks Good Joe. Can't have one here. Last one had 87 pepper plants that dissapeared in a week! Deer got them all.