Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Would you load a second shell?

Schu72

Streetsboro
I'm taking Ethan turkey hunting this weekend and I'll have him shooting his mom's 20 ga. Beretta A303 semi-auto. When he was using a pump gun I always had other shells in the magazine. However, with the auto loader I'm a little concerned. I'm leaning towards only having a shell in the chamber for safety reasons. The chance at a follow up shot probably are minimal anyway. Right decision?

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Depends on how much he has practiced and his proficiency. One shot is all about you get anyway so one isn't going to hinder you much I wouldn't think.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Yeah, I would probably just go with one. It don't take that long to throw another in there if needed, which it probably won't be.

Huckleberry Finn

I won't go against the safety of one, since that is where your question came from and I would agree with the above opinions.

From strictly a turkey hunting perspective, they are all wings when they fly and not worth shooting. However, I've seen birds not react to a shot. Or in the case of a double, the a bird sticking around after the first has been shot.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
If you're concerned about it, just stick with one shell. That being said, if you're concerned about it, maybe he should handle that gun a bit more in non-hunting situations so that the concern goes away. Just thinking out loud here... Not trying to be an ass.

Schu72

Streetsboro
If you're concerned about it, just stick with one shell. That being said, if you're concerned about it, maybe he should handle that gun a bit more in non-hunting situations so that the concern goes away. Just thinking out loud here... Not trying to be an ass.

No offense taken Jim. I thought I might have 2 kids hunting this year, so I was going to move Ethan up to the 20 so Micah could have the .410. Micah decided he wasn't ready even though he shot fine. I feel better about the 20 for turkey hunting and the gas system in the semi will reduce the recoil. So I'll probably have him take the 20 and just load shells one at at time.

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
No offense taken Jim. I thought I might have 2 kids hunting this year, so I was going to me Ethan up to the 20 so Micah could have the .410. Micah decided he wasn't ready even though he shot fine. I feel better about the 20 for turkey hunting and the gas system in the semi will reduce the recoil. So I'll probably have him take the 20 and just load shells one at at time.

That makes sense man. In all reality, that gas-operated 20 will probably kick less than the .410 anyway.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
As a kid hunting w/ Gramp, we grew up on single shot guns for a number of years. You learn to make the first one count.
I see nothing wrong with that approach even if the gun will hold more.
I think its the right decision for a couple of reasons mentioned.

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
If he's been bad lately, give em an empty gun. If he,s been a good boy, put one in the chamber and you have an extra shell ready. Id be hesitant having more than 1 shell in a semi with a kid. Kids think short term not long term..Go with just 1

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Agree with everyone on the one shell idea, will make him a better shot as well! I can remember when I moved up to a pump gun from my single shot .410 for rabbit hunting when I was little, boy did I start missing some rabbits!