Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Is it a rub???

Tree Monkey

NW ohio
My dad found this shroom hunting, its a small hickory tree that's is about polished up to 6 feet tall.

I have my doubts but my dad insisted it was a rub

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I don't think it is a rub, at least not from a buck.....I won't say that a buck won't rub hickory trees of that size either, but from my experience they prefer softer wood trees to rub of that size.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
IMO 100% sure it's not a rub. Way to high.

Possible causes: coon, squirrels,bear, bobcat or humans. Is there any scat laying around?

Tree Monkey

NW ohio
TThere is another tree near by that looks like its just started too.....in an old train track 5ft. Off a road . The one in the picture feels like its polished.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I was thinking squirrel or coon. I have seen elk rubs up that high but not rubbed smooth like that. More of a series of gouges in the tree. I don't know. I would love to help you track down big foot!

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Are there any fallen trees next to it that may have been rubbing on it before it fell? Or even vines??? :smiley_confused_vra

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Being a shagbark it looks as though a coon or something equivalent just peeled the bark off the sumbitch. Was the bark laying at the bottom of the tree?