Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Tree House

Huckleberry Finn

I and a friend just agreed to build a treestand for someone. Having built barns and having a handy father, I'm sure that this shouldn't be too hard.

I haven't seen the trees yet, but I was wondering if any of you dads had good ideas...or hunters since I'm sure some of you still hunt in wooden stands. I've seen Phil's, and no, it won't be that big, but substantial and with a roof.

Suggestions on lag bolts would be appreciated also... will post pictures and keep this updated.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You could do a much smaller version of mine Huck. Hate to see any trees destroyed by drilling into them or anything. Plus, as they grow, they tend to shift and pull the tree houses apart that are built into them or around them. Just build it like mine except with an 8x8 platform or something rather than 16x16. You don't have to do knotty pine for the interior either. Heck, you wouldn't even have to use actual windows. A simple opening or something out of plexiglass would work.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I want to see Phil 's tree house!

Can't do it. Your wife would never get over it. Now, if you want, I will show your wife my tree house. hehehheeheheehe

Maybe I should present this a different way. Sure. So I hear you want to see my tree house. You like candy little boy? I have some candy inside my tree house if you would like some. :smiley_crocodile:

Attachments

• TH wood burner.jpg
    TH wood burner.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 173
  • TH loft.jpg
    TH loft.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 177
  • TH ext.jpg
    TH ext.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 169
  • TH steps.jpg
    TH steps.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 228
  • TH porch.jpg
    TH porch.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
TM- Not really. It is on a property our business owns. We have a building there and will be making a nursery out of the front of the property. We have 3-4acres of woods at the back. This is a narrow property. The tree house sits at the back of the woods at the rear of the property about 1/3 mile off the road. 1850' to be exact. I need to get the siding up soon before it rots away to nothing.

Huckleberry Finn

Here's where we stand as of today...

4 2x10's lag bolted into the trees in a box
2 2x6x12's as joists (plus a 2x4 on the one side and another 2x6x8 scabbed in)
1 "porch" covered with 3/4 inch plywood; 48x67

There has been no lack of hillbilly engineering, as the project has been competed thus far with a lot of scrap wood and some new pieces in an attempt to maximize a not so perfect stand of trees...sturdy but yet will move with the wind. This is about 11 hrs of construction into the project, budget somewhere around $120 plus labor. For future construction, we need some knee braces off the two porches, deck the middle and far porch, and then put a railing on. Also a frame for a tarp roof.

0427121145b.jpg0427121743.jpg0427121735.jpg

Any tips on building ladders?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks xbowguy. More comfortable just to sit back there and relax than anything. Hunting isn't all that. Sure is peaceful though.

Huck- looks like a pretty good start. Steps might be tough given how the tree is a clump. Maybe a section of ladder stand ladder? It looks like a trap door in the middle with a hinge would be easiest. Then you could build ladders in between the clumps. As I look at it, it looks like you will be leaning backwards as you climb if you try to build them on the outside of the trees.

Huckleberry Finn

Huck- looks like a pretty good start. Steps might be tough given how the tree is a clump. Maybe a section of ladder stand ladder? It looks like a trap door in the middle with a hinge would be easiest. Then you could build ladders in between the clumps. As I look at it, it looks like you will be leaning backwards as you climb if you try to build them on the outside of the trees.

I think we are going to build a ladder and put it off the side of one of the porches. What suffices though? 2x4's with what as steps? Spacing? Ideas?

(Not going to build a 2x4 with steps 8 feet apart like a certain 'Paradise' blind I climbed into once...but I did kill a deer that morning!)

Huckleberry Finn

Finished up on Friday...turned out to be a MUCH bigger project that I expected. I'll post the pictures and the cost when I get the chance.

Huckleberry Finn

Here's the completed project:

We put 12 foot 2x6's on top of the box. Actually two main joists and then a 2x4 on this side and an 8 foot 2x4 scabbed into the back. Two f them are lagged into the tree.
0518121139.jpg

Smaller 4x4 porch. The railing is 4 feet
0518121136.jpg

Cut-outs for the trees growing in the middle. The floor is roughly 52 square feet.
0518121137a.jpg

Ladder made from 2x4's. The platform is 9 feet high.
0518121136a.jpg

On the larger platform (6x4) we put two 2x6 braces. One was lagged straight into the other tree, the one to the right in this picture I birdmouthed onto a plate that we lagged into the tree (no question that we put TOO many holes in the trees)
0518121140.jpg

We worked about 25 hours on the project together. Estimated cost is around $500 including lumber, hardware, and labor.