Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Who cuts their kid's hair?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Okay. I have always cut my son's hair. In the last 6-12mo he has been complaining about it. "It hurts. You are pulling my hair. It is itchy." This sort of stuff. Well, let me think about this. . . I absolutely hated it when my Dad cut my hair. Then again, we are talking more into the junior high school years. Prior to this I don't remember minding it. Enter Geoffrey, my nephew into the equation. Haircuts are around $12 give or take a dollar on where you go. That is ridiculous. Now I will be dropping $24 every 2-3 weeks to get the boys hair cut. I spent $41 on the nicest set of Wahl clippers I could find the other night. The boys got their summer hair cuts this evening.

Let's hear the haircut stories guys. I know there have got to be some good ones. I know Dad always asked "You know the difference between a good haircut and a bad one? Just a couple weeks." He always found that funny, but there is some truth in it. Who else cuts their son's hair?

My mom used to cut my hair until I was in 6th grade and I hated it. One time the gaurd on the clippers fell off and I had a big bald spot on top of my head. She wouldn't let me shave my head so I had to walk school around looking like a idiot until it grew back out. That was the last time she cut my hair. Now I cut my own hair every two weeks go figure.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I cut my own and I cut my oldest son's. I use a number 2 guard on his sides and back and a number 3 on the top. Mine is basically the same.

Make sure they wash their hair first and the clippers are oiled. No pulling of the hair then.

My other son likes his a little longer and won't let me touch it.

Huckleberry Finn

I do a #2 clippers faded to scissors as short as they can cut it on top and wish I knew/had someone to do it instead of me paying for it...that's all I know.

But, when you're a kid? Buzz it and move on. When I worked construction and wore a hat 24/7 I had mom/dad buzz it a few times. It was fine.

i havnt cut my cons hair in a long time , i mean years . he was here the other day and wanted me to cut it . so i did . and also cut the roosters hair .my grandson what ya think?

Attachments

• IMG_1684 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_1684 (640x480).jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 204

twireman

Kingston, OH
I've only paid for a bout 3 haircuts in my life. My mom is a cosmetologist and had a shop in the garage. She still cuts families hair even though she doesn't have the shop any more.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Funny you mention this Phil. I cut my son's hair almost every time. I just bought a set of Wahl clippers also and they do a nice quick job. I use a #2 on the sides and blend a 3 or 4 into the top. In less than 10 minutes we are done. Last year during his baseball Allstar tournaments I gave him a real nice mohawk that came down to a point in the back, similar to the Johnny Gomes look.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
My mom used to cut my hair with the clippers through junior high...Wahl's too I believe...One time she was cutting and all of a sudden she just says "Ooops!" and starts laughing...I remembering saying "what the hell?"...after that I just let it grow long...my wife has cut it a few times with a nice pair of Wahl clippers as well...nuf said...now i do it myself....summer cut = #2 or #3 guard...good to go for the whole summer....

My son is 1 1/2 years old and still hasn't had his haircut yet...he has very thin and very blonde hair...I imagine that day will be no picnic either...

Glad you posted this, i'm about due for another one.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I cut my own. 3/4" attachment on my entire head. My wife usually trims my neck line, though. Wahl clippers for me, too... They're a great clipper for the money.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
My old man cut my hair from about 3rd grade all through high school. We've had a few mishaps, but he was pretty good at it. I cut my own hair now; no guard with the blades set as low as they go and I do that every 7-10 days. I can cut some mean hair myself! I used to cut hair in college for beer/smoke and did pretty well with it. Ever cut the hair of OU's starting center while I was there. He was 7' tall and would always ask me to "bust his wig"! :smiley_crocodile:

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I remember my Dad cutting my hair one time. My Uncle walked in just as he was done and said "What happened to that boy's head?...If I had to go to school looking like that, I'd shave my azz and walk backwards" Pizzed Mom off and it was barber shop thereafter. Man was I ever glad he showed up!

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
I do but it's a fight every time. So I just let him get nice and shaggy and hold him down. Wife does mine, ask her to go topless every time it never happens.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I kinda figured most of us had our hair cut from our parents as kids. Maybe not all, but sounds like at least a 50/50. Just seems to be an American tradition.

A tip to those Dads that still cut their son's hair. Little tougher in the winter (unless you have a heater in your garage/shop), but this time of the year it is great. I sit in a regular chair. Put the boys in a little mechanic's chair with 4 casters on it. They are lower than I am in the regular chair for the desk in the shop. I pull out the hose from the air compressor and put the tip on there which blasts air. When the boys start to get itchy, I tell them to close their eyes. I pick up the hose and pull the trigger. The air blasts any tiny hairs off their face and neck. It is effective, the boys get a kick out of it, and it really seems to help. Probably helps if you can meter the amount of air you flow. On or off with no air volume control might freak them out.