Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Memory Foam Mattresses

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My wife and I have been mattress shopping lately and we are really close to pulling the trigger. However, this is a pretty big purchase and I want to make sure I don't make a bad decision.

First we had our choices narrowed down to two mattresses at The Original Mattress Factory (they are local here to Medina)... a high-end innerspring and they're only model of memory foam. We were planning on a King innerspring and a Queen if we went with memory foam. Well, I was leaning toward the memory foam, but I didn't like the idea of it being the ONLY memory foam mattress they had.... so we left to think about it some more.

Last night, we drove to another mattress supplier and they had several brands/models of memory foam. After an hour or so, we both agreed that our favorite mattress so far is the Tempur-pedic Cloud Supreme. It is a bit softer than the first memory foam mattress we tried, but is still firm enough for the right support.

The Tempur-pedic Cloud Supreme is going to be a little over 3 grand for the set, pillows, protective cover, and tax of course. I don't have a problem spending that kind of money on a mattress because I understand that it's an investment. My wife and I have been sleeping on a full size mattress (innerspring) since we got married 5 years ago. We've been sleeping like crap for the past year or so and we both really think it's time for a change. I just don't want to regret spending that much money on a mattress if I don't like it.

So, does anyone here have a memory foam mattress?... a Tempur-pedic? If so, what are some of your likes and dislikes about it? Any regrets? Have you noticed a change in the quality of your sleep since getting it?

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I have the Tempur-pedic firm mattress. The firm one was reccomended to me by the salesman because I always woke up with lower back pain right around my hips with my pillow top mattress. I can honestly say that since I've had this mattress I've never woke up with that pain again. I like it alot!
The only negative is (this may only be for the firm mattress) is if you are a back sleeper, it doesn't form into the small of your back and it gets a little tight because of it. However, if you're a side sleeper, this mattress is money!

If I had to do it over again I don't think I would've gone with the extra firm tough. My wife agrees. But, either way I definitely sleep better than I did before and I notice a difference every morning.

JBrown,
The firmness is very important...how much or how little will make you or break you. We purchased a memory foam matress (I've owned King Sized since before I was married.) and it is a little too firm. We purchased a matress pad, which helped, but my wife's side has an extra blanket folded under the sheet for added padding.

At $2000, I wished I'd have taken a serious look at the Sleep Number beds. As I understand, they're per side or individual adjustable for firmness, from 0 to 100. 0 being very soft (like a sack of feathers) to 100 being like the floor with a sheet on it. I've got about 10 months to go to get it paid off and we'll see how well it lasts until then. I may still invest in a Sleep Number bed.

It's a shame you can't have a 30 day free trial, for a matress. :smiley_chinrub: However, I'm sure there's some sort of health code involved.

Bowhunter57

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Jim I would suggest looking i.to a latex mattress if you are considering memory foam. From what I understand it is.just like memory foam but with a faster recovery or memory. So when you roll over in the middle of the night you don't flop right back over it the hole where you just where.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
JBrown,
The firmness is very important...how much or how little will make you or break you. We purchased a memory foam matress (I've owned King Sized since before I was married.) and it is a little too firm. We purchased a matress pad, which helped, but my wife's side has an extra blanket folded under the sheet for added padding.

At $2000, I wished I'd have taken a serious look at the Sleep Number beds. As I understand, they're per side or individual adjustable for firmness, from 0 to 100. 0 being very soft (like a sack of feathers) to 100 being like the floor with a sheet on it. I've got about 10 months to go to get it paid off and we'll see how well it lasts until then. I may still invest in a Sleep Number bed.

It's a shame you can't have a 30 day free trial, for a matress. :smiley_chinrub: However, I'm sure there's some sort of health code involved.

Bowhunter57

The nice thing about the store we checked out, is that they give you 120 days to try out the mattress. As long as it's protected by a cover, you're allowed to bring it back in and exchange it for another mattress.

Jim I would suggest looking i.to a latex mattress if you are considering memory foam. From what I understand it is.just like memory foam but with a faster recovery or memory. So when you roll over in the middle of the night you don't flop right back over it the hole where you just where.

We did lay on a couple latex mattresses and we didn't care much for them. The ones we tried just seemed to be a bit too soft and spongy.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
you get better traction on a memory foam thats for sure...:smiley_clap: oh and we bought a simmons beautyrest memory foam and man that thing rocks....

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
you get better traction on a memory foam thats for sure...:smiley_clap: oh and we bought a simmons beautyrest memory foam and man that thing rocks....

Lol... That's another reason for the new bed... My toes hang off the edge of our current bed and it makes it tough to get enough traction. :)

Is your Simmons the Comforpedic model? We did like the Simmons Comforpedic, too.... It has some type of air cool gel foam and the temperature difference between it and the tempur-pedic was pretty noticeable. Also, the Simmons has a 25 year warranty, whereas the tempur-pedic was 20 years.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I have the Simmons Comfortpedic right now and it has been a good mattress. There is select number and sleep number...you can pit them against each other and get a lot better deal.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Lol... That's another reason for the new bed... My toes hang off the edge of our current bed and it makes it tough to get enough traction. :)

Is your Simmons the Comforpedic model? We did like the Simmons Comforpedic, too.... It has some type of air cool gel foam and the temperature difference between it and the tempur-pedic was pretty noticeable. Also, the Simmons has a 25 year warranty, whereas the tempur-pedic was 20 years.

yeah i dont get too warm on it...really like it. We did not care for the temporpedic...i want to try a sleep number though

The best bed/matress that I ever owned was a full motion water bed. It was a king sized water bed with a piece of 6" foam inside it for a baffle. That was about 15 years ago...damn, I miss that matress!

Side note: I brought home an "amazon" woman one evening and made the mistake of getting in the water bed first. When she got in she nearly tsunami-ed me into the wall on the other side of the bed. Even so, it was worth it and still the best matress I've ever owned.

Bowhunter57

• Haha
Reactions: Big_Holla

Milo

Tatonka guide.
The best bed/matress that I ever owned was a full motion water bed. It was a king sized water bed with a piece of 6" foam inside it for a baffle. That was about 15 years ago...damn, I miss that matress!

Side note: I brought home an "amazon" woman one evening and made the mistake of getting in the water bed first. When she got in she nearly tsunami-ed me into the wall on the other side of the bed. Even so, it was worth it and still the best matress I've ever owned.

Bowhunter57

its much more fun if you put baby oil on it first...sshh doan tell... sure use up a lot of towels though...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
yeah i dont get too warm on it...really like it. We did not care for the temporpedic...i want to try a sleep number though

We're going to go back tomorrow afternoon and give the Simmons mattress another hard look. As it turns out, one of my wife's friends also has this mattress and was raving about it.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sounds like upgrading from a full size will improve your sleep no matter what type of bed!

Ha! You got that fuggin right. You know, five years into our marriage now, I'd say we are pretty well past the "newly-wed" stage. It used to be that cuddling was fun and enjoyable. Now it's more like, "Get your damn leg off me so I can go to sleep!" or "Geez, quite breathing in my face!" lmao

Reactions: giles

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
We finally made it back to town last night and pulled the trigger on a new mattress set. Our final two choices were the Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme and the Simmons Comforpedic Loft... both memory foam, both queen size. These two sets both felt similar in regards to firmness, so our decision hinged on a few other things... foam type, warranty, and cost. I am a really warm sleeper, and I was concerned that I may get too hot in a tempurpedic or other memory foam mattress. The simmons mattress has a special type of air-cooled gel memory foam that supposedly keeps you cooler at night. The simmons mattress also had a warranty that was five years longer than the tempurpedic. Cost-wise, although we weren't too concerned with price, the simmons was a few hundred bucks cheaper than the tempurpedic. The other nice thing is that simmons gives you a full year to try the mattress out... If you don't like it, simply bring it back in and exchange it for something else.

We are really excited to get this bed since we've been getting terrible sleep lately. It won't be delivered until next Wednesday, though!