Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Back On The Saddle

RUT NUT

Well after 7 years since my accident I decided to purchase another quad. Bigger, better and faster! Haha! My accident happened on a Honda 400EX. At the time it was one of the faster quads you could get. What I have now is a Honda 450R. I can't believe the difference! This thing is wicked fast! I had no intentions of getting on another quad until last weekend my best friend came home from work with a new quad in the bed of his truck. I instantly wanted another one! This was Friday evening. When Saturday came and he and a bunch of my other friends were taking off to go riding....I was stuck sitting at home because of not having anything to ride. It was then I made the decision that I WAS BUYING ANOTHER ONE! So here it is....my
2008 Honda 450R! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334457695.720594.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1334457720.478642.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1334457740.477756.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1334457763.128435.jpg
I've never seen a used quad in such great condition! The guy I bought this off of....bought it brand new and only had less then 30 hours on it! You can definitely tell by looking at it. The only thing wrong with it is the tail light. The rest of the quad is in absolute MINT condition! I'm pumped I came across such a great deal! :)

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Looks great man! I know I couldn't follow my own suggestions on this one, but I will say it anyhow: Ease into it. Knock the rust off and get yourself back in the groove before you get crazy. I tell myself this everytime I go riding. It is usually a good time span in between rides for me. I tell myself to relax and enjoy myself every time. But. . . .every time I am hammer down within 10-15min. Some of us never learn. lmao

RUT NUT,
Congradulations on the purchase of your new quad. :smiley_bril:

I'd like to own one myself, but I'm not sure I'd get the use out of it to justify owning one. :smiley_chinrub: After that, I'm not sure that I'd need the 4x4 version and might opt for the 4x2. Then there's the choices of Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki, Can-Am, Polaris, etc.

Bowhunter57

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
Looks awesome! I've never owned a racer but have rode them a few times. My neighbor used to have a Banshee and it was really fast but it was a piece of junk. Broke down all the time.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
RUT NUT,

I'd like to own one myself, but I'm not sure I'd get the use out of it to justify owning one. :smiley_chinrub: After that, I'm not sure that I'd need the 4x4 version and might opt for the 4x2. Then there's the choices of Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki, Can-Am, Polaris, etc.

Bowhunter57

If you ever decide to get one. IMO....Get a Honda 4 x 4 with a winch on the front and a hitch on the back. Your opportunites will be nearly endless.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Cool. I drove one for the first time yesterday while putting in my mineral site. Made crossing the muddy field much nicer!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
RUT NUT,

Bowhunter57

That is simple. 4x4 Honda. Come on over and try it before you buy it. I am thinking of unloading one of ours and upgrading to a utility vehicle. Need to save many pennies first. Uncle Sam emptied me out. Wollered me out too.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
If you ever decide to get one. IMO....Get a Honda 4 x 4 with a winch on the front and a hitch on the back. Your opportunites will be nearly endless.

I agree. I held off buying one for years. I wish I would have bought mine sooner!

RUT NUT

Looks great man! I know I couldn't follow my own suggestions on this one, but I will say it anyhow: Ease into it. Knock the rust off and get yourself back in the groove before you get crazy. I tell myself this everytime I go riding. It is usually a good time span in between rides for me. I tell myself to relax and enjoy myself every time. But. . . .every time I am hammer down within 10-15min. Some of us never learn. lmao

I will definitely be easing into it. I have 2 little boys to think about every time I get on it. At the time of my accident....I didn't. So it was balls to the wall every time I rode. The crazy thing is....when my accident occurred....I wasn't even doing anything crazy. Heck....I hadn't even been drinking beer. It was just a freak accident that could have happened to the best of riders. That accident changed my life for the better. I wouldn't be where I'm at now if it weren't for that. I'd either be dead or in prison.

RUT NUT

Looks awesome! I've never owned a racer but have rode them a few times. My neighbor used to have a Banshee and it was really fast but it was a piece of junk. Broke down all the time.

That's a 2stroke for you! Haha! Fast but not reliable.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That's a 2stroke for you! Haha! Fast but not reliable.

You better read up rut nut. The modern 4 strokes are high maintenance queens. Maybe they aren't all this way, but most of the racers have such slim tolerances for things like valves clearance and such, might keep an eye on them. Utility quads it isn't much of an issue. I know in dirt bikes the newer 4 strokes really need you to stay on top of the maintenance. The newer 2 strokes seem to be less maintenance than they ever used to be.

You are correct on the Banshees. Most of those were getting worked on frequently. Many of their owners were getting worked on frequently as well.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
ive got a 525 outlaw and my brother has a 450r they are both a pain if you ride em hard for a couple of days your gonna have to adjust the valves, i just put shims in mine and my brother said yesterday his was acting up again to, but man do they run strong.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I sure do love riding a race quad, but I could never bring myself to buy one. I was close a few times on a Z400 Suzuki and I'm glad I didn't know. But damn if those things aren't fun to ride!!!

Buckmaster

Portage
Nice bike, I rode a Raptor once that took the front wheels off the ground in first, second, and third gear. Endlesss power and pretty scary if you ask me.
I have personally given up on 2 strokes which resulted in too many starting issues. Both of our 4 strokes run like champs. I'm a putter, not a racer.

One of my best friends killed himself two years ago on his Artic Cat Thundercat 1000 ATV; he flipped it on his himself crushing his skull. He only had 8 hours on that machine.

Wear a helmet and be careful.