Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Manual Filet Knife recommendations

I have an electric filet knife that I love and wouldn't trade for anything. However, I find that if I'm on a long distance fishing trip, it's better to filet the fish and put them on ice before coming home. So, I'm shopping for a good manual filet knife. :smiley_bril:

Are there any manual filet knife recommendations that you can pass along?
* Blade length?
* Brands?
* Price ranges?
* Where to buy?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Also curious on this too. 57, what type of electric do ya have? I've only used manual and would like to invest in an electric.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Rapala 8" or 6"... For the money, best manual fillet knife you're gonna find IMO. You can usually find one for under 20 bucks at walmart.

5Cent said:
Also curious on this too. 57, what type of electric do ya have? I've only used manual and would like to invest in an electric.
5Cent,
I purchased a Hamilton Beach, for $14, at Walmart. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hamilton-Beach-Electric-Knife-with-Storage-Case/5924590
I've used it to filet everything from 8" bluegills to 26" channelcats and have no complaints. :smiley_bril: Paying extra for a filet knife that says Rapala or the fact that it is a filet knife in the sporting goods section, is silly. :smiley_arrogant:

Bowhunter57

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
5Cent,
I purchased a Hamilton Beach, for $14, at Walmart. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hamilton-Beach-Electric-Knife-with-Storage-Case/5924590
I've used it to filet everything from 8" bluegills to 26" channelcats and have no complaints. :smiley_bril: Paying extra for a filet knife that says Rapala or the fact that it is a filet knife in the sporting goods section, is silly. :smiley_arrogant:

Bowhunter57

The Rapala fillet knives are actually pretty darn affordable... Actually, you can sometimes find them cheaper than your 14 dollar Hamilton Beach knife. I've had the same Rapala fillet knife for about 8 years. It's cleaned lots of fish and I also use it for certain tasks while butchering deer. Easy to sharpen, holds an edge pretty well, nice and flexible... best bang for your buck, IMO.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I like the rapala knives because they are quite flexible. You can flop the fillet over and with just a little downward pressure on the knife, the blade will flex enough to a thinly slice the skinside off. they sharpen easily as well. I had a Berkley knife as well but I used it as a boning knife for butchering deer. It broke last fall when I was trying to seperate the ball joint on the hind leg from the hip bone.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Which ones have a wooden handle and leather sheath? Is that a rapala? Anyway, I've used those forever, and my dad has too...cheap, and work very well.

dante322 said:
I like the rapala knives because they are quite flexible. You can flop the fillet over and with just a little downward pressure on the knife, the blade will flex enough to a thinly slice the skinside off.
dante322,
The flexibility of the blade is a feature that I'm looking for in a fillet knife. I have a Kershaw with a 6" blade, but it's too stiff, due to the blade's height. I may go shopping later today. :smiley_chinrub:

Bowhunter57

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Just as a side note... I would recommend the Rapala with the rubber handle instead of the wooden handle. Better grip IMO and holds up better to moisture. It's the same blade in both versions.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I've had the same Rapala for so many years, I would just pay for another of the same.
(have only owned 2 six inch ones in my whole life and I lost the first one somewhere in FL. 20 yrs ago or I'd still be using the same one and touching it up w/ a stone every so often,)

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Just as a side note... I would recommend the Rapala with the rubber handle instead of the wooden handle. Better grip IMO and holds up better to moisture. It's the same blade in both versions.

does the rubber one float?

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
hpim1789.jpg Is this what it looks like?
dante322,
The flexibility of the blade is a feature that I'm looking for in a fillet knife. I have a Kershaw with a 6" blade, but it's too stiff, due to the blade's height. I may go shopping later today. :smiley_chinrub:

Bowhunter57

57, I've got a Kershaw with a 6" blade and it's about as flimsy as a piece of spaghetti. I hate it and if you PM me an address, I'll send it to ya! It could be the same one you've got, but your welcome to it.

Last edited:

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Aaaaa common guys. Its just easyer some times to clean em on the dock... and i'm feeded the fish and turtles.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Aaaaa common guys. Its just easyer some times to clean em on the dock... and i'm feeded the fish and turtles.

Lol... I knew where you were coming from dude. I have cleaned fish at the dock a time or two. Actually, a lot of guys up at the lake do that. But no, I don't think the rubber handled knife floats. :)

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Just an FYI for you guys who like to filet at the lake.

COLUMBUS, OH – With many Ohio anglers taking advantage of early fishing opportunities, the Ohio Department of Natural Resources’ (ODNR), Division of Wildlife would like to remind anglers of a new rule affecting their catch.
Anglers must leave the fish they catch in public waters in the round (whole) or as a complete fillet with skin attached until they reach their home.

The rest

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/New...d-to-be-Aware-of-New-Fish-Filleting-Rule.aspx

Jackalope,
Thanks for the hot tip!

Nice of them (ODNR) to come out with a new regulation...29 days after the new regulations and licenses are issued. I would certainly hope that they'd let most anglers slide with a verbal warning, the first year of this new regulation. If for no other reason, due to their negligence of having in print BEFORE the release date of the new regulations. However, I will NOT be holding my breath on this one. :smiley_armscrossed:

Classic...a real classic on the ODNR's part. :BS:

Bowhunter57