Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Commute

How long does your commute take you?

• Total voters

Huckleberry Finn

Thinking about starting a new job in a new place and commutes.

I wondered how far ya'll drive to work each morning and figured it'd be a good poll.

epe

Lancaster
39 miles one way. Takes anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour fifteen most days. Been close to two hours in bad weather...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I guess I should add I also drive close to 1K a week for work. My office is a short drive, but all my field work is at least 90 minutes from my house. I make those dives 2-3-4 days a week most weeks.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

47 miles on way. On the average day it takes me about 1 hour from the time I hop in the truck at home until I park at work..

The thing about long commutes is City driving.. 33 miles of my Commute is on I-70.. Doing the speed limit that's 30 min of driving.. So where does the other 30 minutes go? My work is only 3 miles off the highway. But there are 4 lights between the highway and the parking garage. I also live on the north side of Springfield and have to travel to the east side to get to the highway.. 9.5 miles to the highway, 2 lights.

Spfld 9.5 miles = 15 min
Columbus 3 miles = 15 min
Highway 33 miles = 30 min..

Total 1 hour..

If I lived close to the highway in Spfld My commute would only be about 45 min. Actually less because I roll about 70-75 on the highway. so say maybe 40 min.

That's the thing about commutes.. I have a buddy who lived on the east side of Columbus outside the outerbelt.. He lived 5 miles from the highway.. Took him 30 min to get there because of traffic in the morning trying to get on the highway.. Then it took him 30 min because traffic from the east is worse due to highway design. There is a wreck every morning.. Regardless.. So it took him an hour but he only had to drive like 20 miles vs my 47 miles..

There are also sweet spots in the traffic.. Sometimes leaving 5-10 min either way is the difference between 15 or 25 min in traffic... Most people get to work on the hour. 7, 8, or 9. With 8 being the heaviest time... What you don't want is to be 15 min out of columbus 15 min before the hour.. I'll make this simple... It takes me an hour to get to work on average... If I leave the house at 7:00 I will get there at 8:15... If I leave the house 15 min later at 7:15 I will get there at the same time as before 8:15... This is due to traffic prior to the top of the hour.. Traffic at 7:45 into columbus will be heavier.. And it will take me an extra 15 min... But If I get to columbus at 8:00 most of that traffic will already be at the office.. So I can spend an hour and 15 min on the road.. Or an hour.. The difference is the time I leave.. If you're working in columbus look at the west side.. Out of all the way in that's the smoothest.. Stay close to 70. Don;t get up in Rome hilliard or off the outer belt like 270.. Just getting to 70 will be the majority of your commute.. You could stay further outside columbus and drive more miles in less time..

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Joe hit it on the head. I don't have a commute or traffic to deal with anymore. 3 miles from home to the shop. Two stop signs.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Had a boss tell me something when I first went into management... live where you wanna be on your time off/weekends...within reason of course.

In the mornings it's about 45-50 min. In the evenings its a bit longer and can take upwards of 60-70 minutes depending on traffic and time I leave work. I never complained much about it over the years and even bragged about leaving the rat race and going home in the country, that the drive never bothered me. Now that I have been doing it for over 12 years......it gets REAL old now............