Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Minerals?

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Who will be using minerals this fall and what kind of minerals do you use? Are your minerals for inventory or for health management?

Im curious what everyones using and their reasons why.... I just did some research and switched a bunch up last year and even more this year!!!

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Inventory but I use them in the spring. They hardly get hit after the end of September.

For after September I use corn with dried molasses mixed in.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'll be putting some out here pretty soon, mostly to use for inventory. Like Been said, the deer don't seem to touch 'em much after October or so... at least that's what I've seen. This year, I'm going to put out Trophy Rocks and TSC salt blocks. It's impossible to place minerals in bulk mix at the new property I got permission for.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I use them for herd health AND inventory. I believe the mix I use does make a difference in the overall health of our local deer herd, so that take precedence for me. However, mineral sites are outstanding inventory locations and they have served me very well in the past. I make my own mix consisting of one part di-calcium phosphate, one part stock (mixing) salt, and two parts trace mineral salts. I have two sites out with that mix right now and I have one Trophy Rock out. I make my own because I have issues with salt blocks and premixed minerals that run $10 a pound. I can make 200 pounds of my mix for around $2.75 a pound.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am with Jesse. Run the same mix he recommended. Already out. Use them for overall health. Inventory is a bonus.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Just as an example and because I love this pic, here is a buck from our farm that was the product of minerals. The first year I started minerals on this farm, would have been the year he was born. There is no telling if he (or his mother) used them until he was 3.5 years old. But for a deer to put on 40" from 3 to 4, I believe there was more to it than just genetics...

As a 3 year old...

As a 4 year old...

Gordo

Athens County
I'll be using jesses mix in the areas I can access with my four wheeler.

There's one property I'll set a trophy rock on because it'll b easier to pack in.

I'm really excited to give the minerals a shot this year. I'm spreading my efforts out to as many properties as I can in hopes that one property will hold multiple 140+ deer.

If they work like you guys say it should be an outstanding way to keep inventory leading up to season!

Time to roll to the feed store and get the 3 parts for the mix.

Hopefully have the first one set up today close to home. I'll add some pics to the DIY minerals part 2 thread.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Great topic so far guys.... I like hearing everyone opinion! Jesse about 4 years ago I was making the exact same mixture as you and then I got to thinking about how much SALT is involved in this mixture and how can salt truely benefit a deer? Its a small portion of their diet and not a necessary implement to antler growth, although Moe had great results what if you could make every deer with decent genetics have better results?!?
So here it is.... Ive been researching the past few weeks really hard. Im actually sponosred by Monster Raxx Minerals and LOVE their product. Then a good friend of Andre Diquisto (Original owner of Lone Wolf) got ahold of some of his minerals hes hand making and its very similiard to Monster Raxx. THEN.... I talked to several buddies in Iowa and asked what they've been using and the SECRET came out...... So here it is boys........ Pro-Phos 8! I just turned Dave Lusk from Southern Ohio Outfitters onto it as well. The ingredients in this mixture are for supplemental growth for cattle and to increase size. Ive had GREAT inventory results with Trophy Rocks but looking at TR and the 3 part homemade formula is 90% SALT!
You can buy Pro-Phos 8 from your local feed mill or co-op and a 50lb bag runs about $20-24. The guys in Iowa and Andre both said it turned their 3.5 yr old 125-135" bucks into 140-150" 3.5 yr olds and it becomes insanely hard to let 3.5 yr olds walk. Im simplying throwing this info out there because I think it could truely benefit those of us who try to manage our herd and allow deer to see 4.5 or older.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
4.5yr old and older is my goal. Reality is, we never really know for sure if what we are doing is helping or if they would have done this on their own. However, I still think the differences I have seen in ONE year's use is worthy of continuing to do so. Last year we had some huge jumps from the year before. I saw some junk on deer at 2.5-3.5 that normally we don't see around here. I am not talking about 8" drop tines that popped up from nowhere, but a little junk on the bases of a 2.5yr old is NOT what i saw on the other properties. Coincedence? Maybe. Maybe not. Is it going to make a 130" deer a 150" deer in one growing season? Probably not. But i think that 130" deer "might" see 135" or maybe at least see some more mass and junk at a minimum.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I just bought two 50# trace mineral blocks from the co-op today. I just put them out because I know the deer will benefit from them.