Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

favorite call and why

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Booty call. Just sayin
Amen lol.

My favorite is probly any slate call that i can get to sound decent. I really dont have a favorite because it all depends on what the turkeys want to repsond to. I bought a new white liar call, that sounds great, but it's too quiet. I also like to get a glass slate and rub the heck out of it with chalk. Makes for a great pitch. Mouth calls arent really my thing, but i just need to practice at them. As for box calls, I only use them to imitate a gobble..

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Considering I killed my first bird with a Primos Sonic Dome, I'll roll with it. But I'm far more versatile and effective with a Primos Jackpot slate call...

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Can't really say I have a favorite as I am still learning soicy when it comes to calling turkeys. Have a few different mouth calls but I can't figure those things out to savey life. I also have a friction call that I picked up at the expo two years ago that I really like. It is the keystroke mini wedge with glass. That thing has such a wide volume range.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've got a bunch of mouth calls laying around, and a few of them I really like. I just picked up a Zink Wicked Lady last weekend and it sounds really good. I also got a new Primos Long Spur diaphram a few weeks ago that sounds great... although I somehow misplaced it recently. Doh! The Zink Shane Hendershot Signature Series is another one of my favorites. I like these calls because (for me) I find them easy to operate and they sound great... That's what everyone wants from their diaphram calls.

My favorite pot call is my Zink Power Hen crystal. It's sharp, loud, and has great rasp, yet can easily be toned down for those subtle clucks, yelps, and purrs. A couple really nice features of this call are the rubber ring around the outside for a nice grip and also the built-in striker conditioner on the underside of the pot.

This poor SOB fell victim to the Zink Power Hen in 2010...

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Primos Sonic Dome mouth calls. Just easy to use and I don't gag on them. I use a customized "freak" call also. I use mouth calls most of the time.

My favorite call is definately the "booty call", much like my esteemed colleague, Mr. Hickslawns. :smiley_blink:

My favorite turkey call is a double reed diaphram call. I've been mocking/mimicking birds, animals, engines, etc., since I was able to do so and have always enjoyed it. Obviously, this was a point of aggrevation for my parents, during my younger years. :smiley_armscrossed: However, for hunting purposes, it has certainly proved to be both entertaining and deadly.

Bowhunter57

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I added the whole story in there for ya.

Daggonit! Why you gotta be like that? You are correct though. I have taught some how to breath through their nose. You just apply pressure to the back of their neck and they seem to figure it out. lmao

BH57- Sadly I don't remember the last time my wife requested one of those. Oh well.