Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

WTB Brush Hog

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I sure appreciate everyone's help. Crazy how it happened, but I bought one on the way home tonight. I got a Woods 6' Bush Hog for a real good price compared to what they are running. I have a restored 1953 Ford Jubilee Jesse. I believe it is a 30 Hp tractor.

You are right Beene....Everyone says to get a Woods or a Bush Hog Brand if you are gonna abuse it at all.

Last edited:

Huckleberry Finn

I sure appreciate everyone's help. Crazy how it happened, but I bought one on the way home tonight. I got a Woods 6' Bush Hog for a real good price compared to what they are running. I have a restored 1953 Ford Jubilee Jesse. I believe it is a 30 Hp tractor.

Moundy and Diablo Manscaping reccomends using a smaller implement for bush hogging, but good luck. 6' is a hell of a tool for that task!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Will stop and take a pic of the tractor tomorrow. It's down the street parked at the tree farm. Only thing I didn't like about the bush hog.... It's painted a canary yellow color. Guess weeds and deer don't care what color it is.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
To think of it.... I've not even drove this tractor yet. Bought it when I was hurt and haven't rode on it yet. Had to have it loaded and unloaded as I couldn't get on it........

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Not that it matters, but I was thinking the 8N/9N tractors were under 20hp? 15-18hp? I could be wrong here.

Either way, I have a 30hp diesel Kioti and 6' is a lot of bush hog to pull. We run a 78" Mott flail mower. If you stay on top of the fields it is fine. Let them get ahead of you and I have to really slow down or it works that tractor hard. I just listen to the flail mower. It slows down, I drop a gear. It can't keep up, I drop a gear. If it is tall and wet, low range 1 or 2 is not unheard of. Seems 5' is what most guys run on the size tractor you have. Of course, like anything else, just feed it what it can handle and you will get by with the 6'. If you got it for a good deal, then I would try like heck to make it work. lol

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I mow about 2 acres each on 3 different sections of the farm. I used an 8N (18 hp tractor) with a 6' bush hog to knock the brush down last year and it did alright. Some of the multi-flora was pretty thick and had to be hit twice. Sure made a difference though for access to the property. Plus I've seen many more deer out feeding in the new growth.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Tractor 1.jpgTractor 3.jpgTractor 2.jpg

Here's the Tractor Huck.......Been used since restore, but in fairly good shape now for a 53 model.