Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Got the quad running!

Derek j

Knox Co.
So a few weeks ago, I posted about a quad I bought for dirt cheap. It is an 06 Yamaha Kodiak 450 4x4, with a little over 200 hours on it. The quad was sunk in a creek. The original owner drug it out of the creek, brought it home, drained all the fluids, then proceeded to leave it set for three years. The guy I bought it off of took it to one of the best ATV mechanics in our area (Danny Butts), and had him rebuild the motor. After the rebuild, the left rear suspension was replaced, along with the override switch. After sending it back to the mechanic a few times, the owner was riding it around. He put it in reverse, backed up, and then tried to go to Hi gear. It wouldnt budge. So instead of sending it back to the mechanic, he said fugg it and bought a new honda! I went to look at it, and figured that it wouldnt be a big fix. It felt like an easy and cheap fix. So I bought it for $1500. I brought it home, checked a few things, and then was dumbfounded. I started to give up hope and thought my gut had let me down, when I forgot to check one more thing. I pulled the switches from the top of the tranny. 4 pulled switches revealed 3 worn down brass pins.
$120 in switches later, it is running like a top, and will straight out GET IT!!! I cant wait for deer and waterfowl season to get here so I can use it! It will also be a great help around the farm for cutting firewood, cleaning up the woods, and putting in food plots. For my birthday, the wife bought me the camoclad kit so I can get rid of the blue color. Here in the next couple weeks it will be decked out in Max 4 HD!!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nice! Sounds like a great deal. Did you change the rest of the fluids or just the engine fluids? I would think the rust and corrosion inside the axles and such would have built up as well. Might be a good idea to get it up to temp, drain, fill them up, then repeat several times. Should help get the junk out of there somewhat. I have watered out several motorcycles over the years. Worst thing that guy could have done is leave it sit. Best case would be drain it, freshen fluids, turn it over, drain it, freshen fluids, run it a minute, drain it, top off fluids, run it several minutes, drain it, top it off, and continue this process until the fluids being drained were coming out clean. Might have saved a rebuild. The bikes I have drowned out received this treatment and faired well. Once you know you have totally drowned one out, you just have to know you CANNOT try to start them. You need to tow them home and empty them out. Sounds like you have a good one now though. Enjoy it!