Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

New Kayak Seat

My last modification didn't fare so well, so I went back to the drawing board on this one. I decided to install a bass boat style of seat, for the comfort factor....the same seat that I attempted to install the last time, but with a better engineering idea. :smiley_blink: However, the engineering of getting it installed as been something of a brain burner. :smiley_chinrub:

I wanted to use the existing holes and definately didn't want to drill into the hull. So, I designed a craddle of sorts, to mount the seat on and then bolted the craddle in the same place the old seat was fastened.

I've only sat in it on the ground, but plan on putting it in the water later today to see how well it works. :smiley_bril: I was a little concerned, at first, as the seat seemed a little squirrely and didn't sit tightly in one place. After sitting in it, that changed and it sits very solid and stable.

Bowhunter57

Despite the high winds, I found a nice pond to try out my kayak seat and get in a little fishing. I caught a couple small crappies...nothing worth keeping. The seat has worked out to be a great improvement! :smiley_bril: It's very comfortable and with very good back support.

The only "problem" is when I carry it upside down, the seat's hard back is hard on the top of my head. I guess I can live with that and will just put a cushion on my head, while carrying it. :smiley_blink:

Bowhunter57

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Well done man! I have a seat being delivered to day for my John boat. I doubt I make it out on the water as much as you, but I'm gonna try to get out there as much as possible...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Looks great man.. Do you have a picture of the seat that was in there before?

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Despite the high winds, I found a nice pond to try out my kayak seat and get in a little fishing. I caught a couple small crappies...nothing worth keeping. The seat has worked out to be a great improvement! :smiley_bril: It's very comfortable and with very good back support.

The only "problem" is when I carry it upside down, the seat's hard back is hard on the top of my head. I guess I can live with that and will just put a cushion on my head, while carrying it. :smiley_blink:

Bowhunter57

Could you simply open the seat when you carry it so your head is on the padded seat where your ass goes?

CJD3 said:
Could you simply open the seat when you carry it so your head is on the padded seat where your ass goes?
CJD3,
I could, but the seat needs to be folded down to set it on top of my CR-V. I may put my turkey hunting seat on it, as it has a strap that goes around the waist and would fit nicely on the back of this seat to get the job done. :smiley_chinrub:

Bowhunter57

Jackalope,
I take food, water and a piss bottle, so it's not uncommon for me to be on the water for 4 to 7 hours at a time. (I hate to quit fishing, when I know there's more fish to be caught. :smiley_crazy: ) After getting a few flat spots on my ass, I decided to use a treestand cushion and that worked for a while. Finally, I'd had enough and became determined to install a better seat.

Bowhunter57