Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Turkey ready?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Not sure about all this turkey stuff just yet. I think I have what I need, but I am not sure. Stopped at Bass Pro today and dropped some coin. I now have the tom/hen decoy, a couple of calls, and plenty of shells to figure out what works best in my gun. Was planning on using my O/U, but have an offer from Tree Monkey to use his turkey gun which I might do.

I plan on setting up a blind where I have seen the most turkey activity in the past few weeks. Not positive on this yet as i might just hunker in behind a tree or leaning against a tree.

Is there anything I am forgetting?

I am sure i have WAY too much ammo to pattern with, but at least i won't need to make another trip. lmao

Attachments

• turkey ready April 2012.jpg
    turkey ready April 2012.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 180

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That looks like plenty of gear to kill a turkey to me. One thing you may find helpful if you decide to stay away from groundblinds; a bit of camo cloth on stakes to go around your position will go along way toward you killing a turkey. I have found over the years that I cannot sit for long periods without moving my legs a bit. My legs always fall asleep about the time a turkey shows up, and you simply cannot move with a turkey or the game is over. Having that little "blind" around you about chest high makes all the difference to me in both comfort, and concealment.

I'll just add this, with turkeys, slow movement does not work as it does on deer (to position your gun etc) Wait until he has his ugly head completely behind something, and make your movements quickly. They are dumb, but when they see movement, they don't stick around to double check....but you can shoot their buddy stone dead, and since he doesnt fly off, they don't either....gawd, they are goofy animals!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Don't fugg with the blind. IMO, you're just not going to get the full rush of gobbler adrenaline unless you're exposed to the elements while he runs into your setup. Plus, carrying a bling around sucks. Instead, get yourself one of those HS Strut fold-up turkey seats (it's a four-legged seat that sits about 5 inches off the ground). Oh and grab a set of pruners for snipping off leafy twigs and what-not. In the spring when the gound is soft, it's easy to shove leafy branches into the soil around you... like a makeshift blind. I finally picked up a pair of pruners, myself.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Don't fugg with the blind. IMO, you're just not going to get the full rush of gobbler adrenaline unless you're exposed to the elements while he runs into your setup. Plus, carrying a bling around sucks. Instead, get yourself one of those HS Strut fold-up turkey seats (it's a four-legged seat that sits about 5 inches off the ground). Oh and grab a set of pruners for snipping off leafy twigs and what-not. In the spring when the gound is soft, it's easy to shove leafy branches into the soil around you... like a makeshift blind. I finally picked up a pair of pruners, myself.

I'll second the hs strut fold up seat. Light and super comfortable. No roots up your ass, stay dry, and it's just flat out comfortable.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
dang. Saw those seats at Bass Pro yesterday for $15 and just about bought one. Guess I should have gone with my impulsive side. Oh wait, I think I did when I started pouring ammo in the cart.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Just pull both triggers and you'll be fine.

Brock - are you saying that you hunt turkeys with a blankie?!?

Only when I want to kill one. Usually I do not because I don't sit still long enough for one to show up or sneak in. On the one or two days a season that the impulse to kill one rears it's ugly head, I tote my "blankie" along...and believe it makes a world of difference. I'll agree with the HS seats - great investment.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Turkeys are oblivious to blinds. You can set one up in the middle of a 40 acre field with decoys in front of it and they will still come in. There's nothing wrong with using a blind to conceal your movement, especially since you haven't shot a bird yet. Set your blind up a couple days in advance in a location where you can see the best, and where the turkeys can see you the best also. You can always leave the blind and go mobile if you need to, but it would be a good idea to have your blind set up in case of bad weather. Good luck!

Milo

Tatonka guide.
you need 2 plastic grocery bags in case you stumble on some mushrooms.

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Figure out and practice how your gonna hold your gun up. Mine rests on my knees. A big problem is fatigue while trying to hold your gun trying to sight on a gobbler that is taking forever to come in.

Big H

Medina
Anyone have one of the rests that straps to your thigh?

I do, actually am on my second one, I wore the first one out a couple of years ago. They work very well. Make sure you have a headnet and gloves. If you have one of those camo umbrellas, they come in handy during thunderstorms. I just stick it in the end of the gun barrel until the rain stops. And don't forget Deep Woods Off this year, the ticks are going to be bad.