Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Stemmler recurve restoration

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I obtain a new to me recurve a few weeks ago. I was replacing a elderly man's kitchen faucet. I had noticed a lot of things around the house that had to do with hunting and the outdoors. So naturally as the job progressed we found ourselves sharing stories and our interest in the outdoors. He had primarily always been into running dogs and bird hunting. As the job was coming to a close I brought up archery and he said he hadn't shot bow in a few decades, but he did still have his old recurve. So after cleaning up my mess from the faucet we both where out in the garage looking for his old recureve. Finally found it over in the corner behind a whole pile of stuff. After looking at it for a four moments I asked if he was interested in selling it. He paused for a moment and said she really needs a lot of work. If you are willing to take her home and clean her up and get her back to shooting arrows you can have her, I'll never use it again.

The bow is a Streamler Turk. 60", 44# @ 28". The old man told me that when he purchased the bow he got it from Swallows and he bought it because this model was the first wood dominate combo produced. I haven't been able to verify that, but I have found a lot of history stating that Stremmler was the oldest archery manufacturer in the country for a long time. I think I remember ready they start back in the 1800s. So there could be some validation to his statements. So the bow is overall solid but in poor condition. The finish on the wood is gone, there was signs of mold on the fiberglass from moisture and I could hardly make out the markings on the fiberglass that told me the make and the model. I spent one whole night just googling about this bow before I really figured out what I had.

Today I started the restoration process. The first thing I want to say is I have never done this before. So I honestly have zero clue what I am doing and this isn't meant as a educational thread. (There is my little disclaimer so if someone screws up a bow restoration they can't blame me for it. LOL)

The first thing I figured I would do is get the fiberglass on the bow cleaned up. Here is what I used to try and freshen up the fiberglass.
uploadfromtaptalk1333818018618.jpg
I started out with 320 grit sandpaper. This seemed to do a good job of taking off the mold and any dirt that was on the fiberglass lamination. I then moved to a coarse steel wool, then 00 steel wool, then 0000 steel wool. This has really cleaned up and brought back a move smooth finish to the lamination. Here a few before and after pics.
Before
uploadfromtaptalk1333818580579.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1333818611053.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1333818632418.jpg
After
uploadfromtaptalk1333818661972.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1333818709963.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1333818730818.jpg

Next will be working on standing down the wood.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Looks like you are off to a great start! I've never done one before, so I am really looking forward to your updates and progress.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Very cool Steve! I am jealous. I would love to find the enthusiasm to do a little recurve shooting. Just haven't found it yet. On my "to do" list.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Looks like that first stage of sanding really accomplished a lot, Steve. I think you're off to a great start and I'm really looking forward to following along with your progress. I really need to keep my eyes out for an old trad bow... I would love to do a project like this.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Cool Project!
I did a old Ben Pearson long bow years ago. I did tape off the writing on the wood so I would have preserved the info and numbers, then removed the tape before refinishing.
Keep us posted!

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Cool Project!
I did a old Ben Pearson long bow years ago. I did tape off the writing on the wood so I would have preserved the info and numbers, then removed the tape before refinishing.
Keep us posted!

I have taken a picture of the info on the wood that way before I refinish it I will take some black paint and put it back on.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Well the next step in the restoration has started. This portion of dancing the wood is going to take a little while longer than the fiberglass. With the rounded surfaces of the riser it makes it a little harder to sand with the grain of the wood. I also want to make sure I take my time in this area so that it looks good when all done.

I am starting with a 180 grit wallpaper to tale off any of the finish that was still on and to knock off any rough spots or gouges in the wood. I have taken a few before pics.

uploadfromtaptalk1334192860668.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1334192884388.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1334192914238.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1334192929823.jpg

Here is one of the shelf. Below the shelf has been sanded, above has not. I think this one really shows how bad the finish really was when starting.

uploadfromtaptalk1334193017412.jpg

I am planning on going over it with at least three different grits of sandpaper before putting on the finish.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I ultimately decided on doing as TL suggested and went with all the same sand papers that he suggested. It has turned out very nice. I have just applies the first coat of tung oil. And here are a couple pics.

uploadfromtaptalk1336776405916.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1336776418366.jpg

I am planning on at least 6 coats of tung oil.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That looks like it will be well worth the effort you have put into it Steve! Looking great already!

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Just put the final coat of tung oil on the Stemmler. I honestly forget how many coats I have put on somewhere between 6-8. It is looking pretty good and am excited about making the string for it and getting to shoot it. My goal is to take my first traditional deer with it this up and coming season.

uploadfromtaptalk1338852785695.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1338852796290.jpg