Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

"Sous-Vide"-Style Steaks

badger

*Supporting Member*
First off I'm old school when it comes to cooking steaks. I can't buy anything besides a porterhouse, a fillet, or a rib eye.

That changed after checking out this link >>> http://mobile.seriouseats.com/2010/03/how-to-sous-vide-steak.html

I was very skeptical about trying this, but I'm always willing to learn new things. I expected a boiled looking grey steak and I was so wrong. This was a super tender, juicy, flavorful steak!

I used a sirloin and my total cooking time was about 2.5 hrs.

This is all about using a cheaper cut of meat and having a high end result. This steak turned out as good as any I've ever had.

The key is the water temperature. As the link explains, if you want rare keep the water at 120, medium rare 130, and so on.

Basically all you need to do is vacuum seal up a steak, get your water to the desired temp, put the sealed steak in, and keep your temp where you want it. From what I've read, the longer the better as the connective tissues will keep braking down. You can use a smoking hot grill (gas or charcoal), or a cast iron skillet that is smoking hot for the final sear. After taking the steak out of the bag I seared the steak maybe a minute on each side. I had my skillet heating up in the oven at 500, so it was really hot! I added about a teaspoon of bacon grease to the pan before searing the steak. There's no need to let the steak sear long, or let it rest after searing.

I seasoned mine with garlic, ground peeper, and Tony's creole seasoning before vacuum sealing.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Dang Dale.... I don't know if I could wait two and a half hours too eat steak lol.... looks tempting though....

badger

*Supporting Member*
Jay, the beauty about this is there's no timeline. That and being able to use cheaper cuts of steak and have them come out as good as any higher end cut. I think it had more flavor than quite a few steaks I've cooked recently.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Looks great Dale!

I cook Sous Vide all the time. The cheaper the cut the better IMHO. Cheaper cut generally equals more fat. It is the ultimate slow and low. I REALLY like lamb cooked this way.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Wow, I've never heard of this. My wife is notorious for buying cheap steaks, and normally it makes me cringe. I'm going to have to try this out! Thanks, Dale.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Yep will be trying this next wee for sure, thanks for sharing Dale! The local market has sales on sirloin all the time, but I can never get them to turn out tender enough for my liking.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Awesome! I'll give it a shot.. With the price of meat at the grocer these days we better start figuring out how to eat the styrafoam trays meat comes on... Good thing I hunt..

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I gotta believe this method would also work well for venison. Deer steaks can be easy to overcook, which leads to a tough steak... I think this recipe would help keep that from happening.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I gotta believe this method would also work well for venison. Deer steaks can be easy to overcook, which leads to a tough steak... I think this recipe would help keep that from happening.

Exactly what I was thinking! I bet if a person were to add a little olive oil to the mix before sealing it up it would be awesome! I'm gonna have to give that a try!

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
For deer I like buying "Dales Seasoning Marinade" which is a wet variety.

How I do it...

I package my meat (I buy bulk) and venison with my sealer. I will defrost the meat in the bags and then just cut open and add marinade, then let sit. The Dales Marinade doesn't need a lot of basting time so I pull the meat out after about four hours, dump the marinade, pepper then reseal the bag.

Get the stock pot going and then drop the meat in. I usually put something on top of the bag to keep it from free floating. Pull meat, brush with evoo and then sear on the grill. I love the searer on my grill.

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
As soon as I read this thread yesterday, I started looking for a vacuum sealer. Lol!