Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Yo Cotty- or anyone

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I will be coaching my 8 yr olds baseball team. Last year was his first year playing. I worked with him a good bit, and he improved dramatically over the season. Unfortunately, the league was short on coaches this year and last year's coach volunteered me.... Anyway, I can coach my kid, but haven't a clue what I need to do with an entire team. I haven't played baseball in 20 freakin years!

So my question is, what are some good drills etc for these kids. They are 7 and 8 year olds. From my observations last year, I have a plan that may help them win - did you know win was a bad word? But, I need to know what I should be doing to form good fundamentals in these boys. I kinda figure I can teach them to hit, and the teams in this age class that hit win. Any tricks or helpful hints?

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Fake a hearty attack like the coach in Major league and drink a beer like the coach in the bad news bears....that will get them playing...

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That isn't a bad plan, Milo. Sadly, I will know a lot of the folks I have to deal with in this thing and I really should be on my best behavior. I don't think I should even cuss at these kids very much. I'm not too worried about making a kid cry, but I can't be losing any pizza lovers out of this thing!:)

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
KISS it. And use YouTube...

At that age, it is all about building a solid foundation to be continually tweaked over time. You will still have kids who are playing that will not play past 10-12 years old, so there is no sense in getting TOO technical. There are a ton of good videos on YouTube. If you have an hour, you can really come up with some good stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/results?sear...l0l14197l37l37l5l7l7l2l304l2507l0j16j1j1l18l0.

Things that always stuck in my head were: "Down, out, and open..." when talking about fielding the ball. And "chopping wood" when teaching them to hit down and through the ball...

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Im sorta in the same boat Brock. I was able to talk Jesse into giving me a hand since we dont live to far from each other. He's coming to give me a hand Friday evening. We might be able to get a scrimmage together if your not to far away.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Dang, there is all kinds of good stuff there, Jesse. Thanks!

I think we are a little too far to get together...

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The main thing is focusing on fundamentals. I didn't get to Look at what Jesse posted yet, but will.
Just of the top of my head work on:
1. Proper fielding technique. Work with them all in the infield in a couple of groups. Work on starter steps to get the feet moving. 1, 2, 3 steps then set when the ball is ready to be hit. Field the ball out in front of them, not under their legs. Work through the ball so momentum is going to first. Field with two hands!!! Act like the glove and hand are an alligator. Bare hand is the top of the mouth.

2. Don't be afraid to use a tee for swing mechanics. I they're hitting the tee they're dipping. If they're chopping the ball theyre extending too soon. Line those knuckles up (knocking knuckles, like holding a golf club).
Tony Gwynn used to take 100 cuts off a tee per day in season.

3. Base running. Run through first. When rounding hit inside corner of bags.

4. Work everyone in outfield. Start small just throwing pop ups. Call the ball!

5. Hitting cutoffs. Stress outfielders hitting cuts. Work with cut men turning to the glove side when turning to throw to second or wherever. It drives me nuts kids turn the wrong way when cutting the ball.

Hope some of this helps. If I think of any other easy things I'll post it up. If any of this is confusing let me know. I'll go into more detail. Posting from my phone so the thoughts don't flow as well. Lol

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Thanks Mike. Not confussing at all. I recall all of it, and have taught Mason a good deal of it. Thank you very much for the reminders!
I'm just a little anxious to see what I can't get through these little heads in a short amount of time. I really hope I wind up with a few boys that have played before. I only know one of the other boys on the team, and his Grandpa will be helping me out. He was a lefty, drafted by the Reds, but lost that dream to a hunting accident. Still, he knows baseball too...and is funny as heck when he's mad:) He owns a hunting preserve if you all want to come over and murder some pheasants this fall.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
One thing I forgot to mention when working grounballs. Start off by rolling them to get there footwork down and habit of fielding through the ball. We do a ton of that in the gym early season even with the older kids. Of course, my team has been making a shit ton of errors, so what do I know?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That's a good tip! I hadn't thought of that, honestly. Make it easy and comfortable at first before they start catching them with there teeth! :) Thanks again!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Some great things mentioned so far. Fundamental are absolutely key with young kids because, as Jesse said, it's sets the foundation for the rest of their baseball "careers," at least for those that will continue to play through high school.

With kids that young, getting them to remain focused and pay attention can be difficult. You often see kids react slowly to a ball because they're I'm a homo dallying around in the outfield when the ball's hit... or they get the ball, and then they fall to pieces and forget what to do with it. Stress to them that they should think about what they will do with the ball if they get it, before every pitch. Mental preparation is a fundamental of baseball that is just as important as the fielding, throwing, and hitting skills themselves. It doesn't matter how good of an arm you have or how nice of a swing you have if you're not in the game mentally.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Good points, Jim. Having been around a kid this age a good bit, I will agree completely with the short attention span! One of the most entertaining things about watching these games is the way these kids are always surprised to have the ball hit to them. And with all the kids seemingly the same, I would think that would be a hurdle that is hard to leap...which could mean those that make the best attempt at the leap will be the ones going for ice cream.

Keep the thoughts coming, fellas. I'm gonna use 'em all.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
just the basic fundementals thats how kids become good ball players if they know and understand the game, keep it fun, dont burn them out i played alot almost everyday when i was in school, between high school legion ball and fall ball, by the end of the seasons i was pretty much baseballed out. ive also coached a couple babe ruth teams and a couple all star little league teams going from babe ruth to little league was tough for me because i expected them to be more like the older kids, just keep it fun and teach them the basics, and you will have a good season.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
My biggest problem helping Aaron's team will be "dumbing" it down. I have to remember these kids don't know a whole lot about the game, so I have to be cognizant of that as I try to break things down...

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
More good tips! I have been short on time this week and haven't been home in the evening to work with Mason at all. I have used a little of my time to check out some things on YouTube as Jesse suggested. Mason woke me up at 8 today (out of school for Easter) to go work on baseball. We applied some of the throwing and fielding tips I saw on YouTube, and I am amazed at the dramatic improvement already! These are things I do, but never realized how I did things...sorta like shooting a bow for me, I generally just say "look where you want to hit and let 'er go"...and there is more to it, but when you don't really analyze the thing its hard to describe how to do it. What impresses me most is the improvement in throwing. This kid is throwing bullets now, no more lobbing, spinning, twirling weird looking deal that lacks accuracy...he's a major leaguer!:) These simple and subtle pointers are exactly what I was hoping for and look forward to applying them to the team when we start on Tuesday.

We are heading back out to work on hitting right now. Can't wait to see how this goes. Again, the way I did it is the way it is now suggested it seems. Eric Davis and Johnny Bench were my heros at the plate. I was always a fan of their relaxed, smooth, powerful swings. I tried to immitate them as a kid, and as a result was a fair batter. Last year, I recall trying to explain it to Mason as "just relax". Through repetition, it began to take hold...and then his coach would foul him up at practice with "elbow up". I can't wait to apply the tools I've gained through you all and YouTube! Thanks a bunch!

Milo

Tatonka guide.
my nephew is becoming quite the ball player too brock and nobody ever took the time with me to show me how to use my body to my advantage. i have been teaching him where his strengths lie and he has been using them to his advantage with success. its been fun. Body position, footwork and mechanics can really open their minds up.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Anyone teach "no stride" in batting? Amazing what happens when you take another potential error out of the equation for a kid!

You are dead right Milo. His throws have always been weak at distance. I never picked up on the reason last year and just assumed it would come with time. I am absolutely amazed at how much zip his throws have now just by making a few suggestions on the proper way to do it. It's a lot like shooting a bow...better tuned, straighter flight and more zip.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Anyone teach "no stride" in batting? Amazing what happens when you take another potential error out of the equation for a kid!

You are dead right Milo. His throws have always been weak at distance. I never picked up on the reason last year and just assumed it would come with time. I am absolutely amazed at how much zip his throws have now just by making a few suggestions on the proper way to do it. It's a lot like shooting a bow...better tuned, straighter flight and more zip.
NOW you believe in bow tuning? oh boy....

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
haha... You have missed my point with bow tuning in the past. I haven't paper tuned a bow in 20+ years. I simply eye ball it, shoot it at 20, walk back to 60-80 and note the differences. I make my adjustments from that information vs. a tear in paper. Its quick, and works. I get them flying straight don't I? :)

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
My biggest problem helping Aaron's team will be "dumbing" it down. I have to remember these kids don't know a whole lot about the game, so I have to be cognizant of that as I try to break things down...

You'll have TOO in order for me to understand it!!!!!!