Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Joey Votto - 10 year/$225 million contract with Reds

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Not sure what Votto was thinking here, I think he could have held out his remaining two years in Cincy, then went almost anywhere he wanted and possibly chased a world series. But hey, I'm not complaining!!! Go Reds!! :smiley_baseball:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
We've been talking about this for a couple of days and I was shocked to say the least. I thought he'd ride it out and leave. I'm a life long Reds fan, so I'm happy as hell to see it!!!

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I wish they woulda spent some of that money on phillips and signed him to a long term deal also...

Yep they can kiss that goodbye now... unless we want to go back to the 2006,07,08 era when we had two or three great players and that's about it, barely going .500 if we even did that (memory isn't real good).

This will probably be Phillips last year, but without paying him the 12+ million or so a year that he is worth, hopefully we can keep a good pitching staff, keep Stubbs and some other good players, and sign on some good young talent to fill the gaps.

Phillips will be damn tough to replace though.... without a doubt!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm more surprised that the Reds made that long of a committment, let alone the fact that Votto agreed to it. 10 years is a long fuggin time... and in baseball there is a ton of uncertainty. Votto is a hell of a player right now, but who's to say he'll be worth that kind of coin 10 years from now? I don't think it was a very smart decision, for either side.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I'm more surprised that the Reds made that long of a committment, let alone the fact that Votto agreed to it. 10 years is a long fuggin time... and in baseball there is a ton of uncertainty. Votto is a hell of a player right now, but who's to say he'll be worth that kind of coin 10 years from now? I don't think it was a very smart decision, for either side.

Yep you hope as a 28 year old he can give you 10 solid year, or at least 7 or 8... but in baseball you just never know!!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I wish they woulda spent some of that money on phillips and signed him to a long term deal also...

Agreed.

Agreed.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Never heard of the guy. Seems like a lot of money to pay someone to play baseball. Nobody in their right mind should argue over making that kind of coin!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Lot's of good stuff happening in MLB right now. The Tribe signed Carlos Santana to a 5 year 25 mil deal yesterday. He's young, but has a ton of talent behind the plate and is one of their best sticks right now. He's one of the few on the team that I'm glad to see will be sticking around for a while.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Lot's of good stuff happening in MLB right now. The Tribe signed Carlos Santana to a 5 year 25 mil deal yesterday. He's young, but has a ton of talent behind the plate and is one of their best sticks right now. He's one of the few on the team that I'm glad to see will be sticking around for a while.

No shit?!?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
lmao ... close, but no cigar. The Carlos Santana I'm referring to looks like he's black... although, I think he's from the dominican.