Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

No beard the Turkey

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Finally got a gobbler on cam strutting. TOO bad his beard is about 2" and I don't think it's because it's cold out lmao :smiley_crocodile:.

[video=youtube;8HXMjp9WhMk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HXMjp9WhMk&list=UUupWLBS53K9R-N7e9kCsO8Q&index=1&feature=plcp[/video]

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Great video man. Looks like a jake to me, though. Look closely when he fans out... the center tail feathers are longer than the others.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
"Wasn't because it was cold out":smiley_crocodile:

Must be my state of mind tonight, but that cracked me up. Thanks Adam!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
It's definitely a Juvenile (Jake) bird. Great video and looks like a good spot... Good luck this spring.

Something tells me Dante will be the first man in the blind down there lol. I don't mind though. Just glad to have a buddy to go hunting with again and would be just as happy if he shoots a good bird down there.

camofry

*Supporting Member*
If it was me, I would let him grow up. If hes there , theres more close by. This pic came off a farm this morning that I was told there was no Turkeys. With the bad hatchs we have had the last few years we are going to need them jakes to help bring the flocks back up over the next few years. A young jake will breed a lot more hens then a old tom will if you take the tom out.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Sad part is he is the size of the other couple birds I have seen so far. If there is a longbeard out there he has yet to walk past my cams with the other turks.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Give it a few more days, they will show up if your getting pics of hens.

Getting pics of hens and jakes but nothing on a regular schedule. More like once a week or once every other week. Dante was out there Friday morning and didn't here anything or see any birds. When I do get them on cam they aren't coming out until 10am or later to the fields. I need to walk back into the west woods further and see what I can find however the ticks are horrid. I walked to my 2 cams and back out in under an hour and found 2 on me so far.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Getting pics of hens and jakes but nothing on a regular schedule. More like once a week or once every other week. Dante was out there Friday morning and didn't here anything or see any birds. When I do get them on cam they aren't coming out until 10am or later to the fields. I need to walk back into the west woods further and see what I can find however the ticks are horrid. I walked to my 2 cams and back out in under an hour and found 2 on me so far.

Sounds like maybe the turks are roosting on another property, somewhere adjacent to the one you're running cams on.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Sounds like maybe the turks are roosting on another property, somewhere adjacent to the one you're running cams on.

I am thinking they are roosting back to the west. The cam sits in a river bottom that has a ridge to the north and a 20-30' wide river to the south. Every time I get them on this cam they are moving west to east either down in the river bottom or the ridge just to the north.