Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

References for the new Deer Hunter

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Gentlemen (and ladies),
Please take the time to post in this thread what you feel are must-read/must-see references for anybody just starting out in our glorious sport. This can include books in your library, links to helpful articles or sites on the web, or which magazines whose content you find informative and helpful. Keep in mind you're targeting info that would be helpful for a newly minted hunter - but more in-depth references for experienced hunters would be welcome also. Feel free to comment on how these references helped you.

Hopefully this thread will mine up some real gems and good deer discussion and possibly be moved to the knowledge forum for reference or made a sticky.

I'll kick off - JBrown turned me on to "Deer and Deer Hunting" magazine. Good stuff, and articles are more in-depth than some other fluffy mags that are more about ads than content.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
http://www.amazon.com/Right-Guide-Creating-Habitat-Plots/dp/0972935606

http://www.amazon.com/Planting-Food-Plots-Other-Wildlife/dp/0970749341

These are a couple books that I've found to be extremely informative. They are mainly focused toward food plots, but the information that is provided about deer nutrition and habitat requirements can really help one understand deer behavior in general. To be a successful hunter, you have to be familiar with all fascets of deer behavior... so anything that gives you insight on behavior will result in more success in the woods. That's why I like D&DH magazine so much. Most outdoors magazines on the market are fairly broad, in that they cover many many topics... not just deer hunting. D&DH is all about deer behavior, biology, and ecology. I don't care about Outdoor Life's "10 Best Stand Placement Tips".... that's all generic bullshit that doesn't apply to most spots that I hunt. I want to know what makes deer "tick."

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
John Eberhart. I have two of his books, and one of his videos. Not a single kill shot on the video. It is entirely about strategy, stand placement, etc. I look for information when I read a book or watch a video. Watching 25 kill shots on a video without an explanation to setup or anything just is not informative. You can learn a lot from the Eberharts. They specialize in highly pressured archery hunts.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
To you fellas who have posted, thanks. Please pick one or two and elaborate a little (kinda like Hicks did).

To you fellas who haven't posted, I know the reason you haven't shared is because you've been out hunting.
Think about it a little when you're on stand next time.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
A great book I read that helped me on the mental side of shooting in archery competitions was a book titled, "Behind the Bow". Authored by, "Blair Peterson and published by, Gallant in 1977. Al Henderson had a book titled, "Understanding Winning Archery" that is great as well. I highly recommend reading both books because they definitely helped me to shoot more consistently. They will also help you understand what you have to overcome mentally and physically to perform at your highest level. They're a big reason why I never really struggled too much with target panic. The many other things listed above are excellent things as well. Good thread Danno!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I was turned onto a good book by Milo. "Whitetail Magic" by Roger Rathaar. I am about half way through it and really enjoying it.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
John Eberhart. I have two of his books, and one of his videos. Not a single kill shot on the video. It is entirely about strategy, stand placement, etc. I look for information when I read a book or watch a video. Watching 25 kill shots on a video without an explanation to setup or anything just is not informative. You can learn a lot from the Eberharts. They specialize in highly pressured archery hunts.

Amen to the Eberharts. They are practical, fair chase deer hunter's. Phil, I have all of the DVD's if you'd like to borrow the others.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
JBrown turned me on to Deer and Deer Hunting Magazine.

If you get only one subscription, get this magazine. Informative articles, well written, common sense stuff.
Not just a platform for advertisers, these guys are the real deal. Just like their TV show. IMHO

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
JBrown turned me on to Deer and Deer Hunting Magazine.

If you get only one subscription, get this magazine. Informative articles, well written, common sense stuff.
Not just a platform for advertisers, these guys are the real deal. Just like their TV show. IMHO

Absolutely. I can't hardly stand to read some of the other outdoor magazines because they're just too cluttered with ads and they give you these "tips" that involve a hunting scenario that isn't realistic... You'll often see an illustration of a hunting property, with stand sites and little cartoon deer all around, with every imaginable food plot and crops scattered around... perfect wind directions, etc... It's just not a "real world" kind of a hunting tip, IMO. Deer and Deer Hunting Magazine doesn't waste your time with these bogus tips. Instead, D&DH gives you information about the deer themselves... the biology and ecology of the animal. Understand the deer, and you'll understand how to hunt them.