Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Footage from my fall

deerjunkie

Canton, Ohio
Please know that I am not posting this because I want this to be an "all about me" thing. My heart behind this is to bring awareness to doing everything you can to be safe in the tree. As I said before, you deserve it, your kids and family deserve it, to have you back home in one piece. I was doing what I knew to be safe, but sometimes things happen we can't explain. You never know what the next five minutes hold...

This is the actual audio and video footage from that morning, nothing has been recreated.

[video=youtube;JDoD0WHFgDE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDoD0WHFgDE[/video]

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The crazy thing is you can hear that clip break. That loud ping is something I NEVER want to hear.. Dale, I am happy buddy you're capable of sharing the audio from that day. Let it be a reminder to all of us that even when you do everything right bad things can still happen..

Did you ever find the pieces to that clip?

deerjunkie

Canton, Ohio
The crazy thing is you can hear that clip break. That loud ping is something I NEVER want to hear.. Dale, I am happy buddy you're capable of sharing the audio from that day. Let it be a reminder to all of us that even when you do everything right bad things can still happen..

Did you ever find the pieces to that clip?

Thank you Joe! Never did find the buckle to that belt. Because of the all the rain we had last season, that tree was under 1-3 feet of water all season. It was with in 30yds of a large creek with good moving water, so needless to say a lot of stuff got moved around on the ground. I haven't been back there for a couple months, I need pull those stands that are half hanging. I will try my hardest to look for it then, hopefully the water is down.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Seen this yesterday when you posted it on FB. Just unbelievable man. I can't believe how loud that ping was and that you was able to walk out of there. Just AMAZING man.

Glad you was able to heal up and get back out there Dale. The world and the hunting woods just wouldn't be the same without ya buddy.

Grab ya a metal detector and see what ya can find. Heck, you might find some good stuff out in the middle of the woods ;) Don't forget to look for the turkeys while your out there TOO.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Craziness Dale! Glad to know you are a man of Faith. Good Lord was in control that day for sure!

LonewolfNopack

The woods
Thanks for sharing that video, very inspirational! Glad you are O.K. God does watch over his sheep, that is for sure. I fell from a tree for the first time this year as well while hanging a stand, but it was no where near as bad as your fall. I do know how scary it is though. My buddy was with me too, and I think it was even more scary for him watching me fall.

Huckleberry Finn

Dale,

That video was chilling and due to its nature brought back the memories of the fall that I took in December. That feeling I had laying on the ground, unable the breathe, and trying to figure out what happened...eerie. I know that my injuries were minimal for the situation and even less in comparison to you, but that video made me think again how blessed I was and how thankful I should be - as you are too - for God's hand and eyes over us. I'm not trying to compare myself to you and I'd hate to come across as saying "dang, glad I wasn't busted up like Dale!" but I think you know what I mean...scary stuff.

It is amazing to see the '2 weeks later' clip and you in a tree stand. Given that my fall was at the end of the season, I haven't conquered the heights again. But I will...

Thank you for sharing. That is a powerful story!

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Two things about this situation...who else would thing to video themselves walking out with half their calf muscle hanging out and a gash on their head? The other thing..Dale landed on his head and shoulder, not scratches, not bruises, no soreness, not black outs, nothing other than the cut and calf muscle (which is enough). Dale is one tough dude, and God was with him that day. I watched that video before his presentation at the Wildgame Dinner this sat, and I turned it off cause I didn't want to watch it all. It brought tears to my eyes to see it, and still does. Very powefull video for everyone to see that all it could take a is a "ting" and you could be lights out...Get right with the lord boys, you never know when it could happen.

Glad your still here brother!

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Dale, glad you were able to fully recover and share this with us man, hopefully this will serve as an example to all of us just how fragile life can be.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Tracie and I watched this yesterday morning when we woke up and both of us were in awe to say the least. It is one thing to watch something like this when you don't know a person, its entirely different when you know the person and the voice. I commend you on sharing this Dale. I know it served as a great reminder to me that I need to be as careful as I possibly can while I'm hanging in a tree.

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
It just sends chills down my spine tp watch that, I am glad you are doing good Dale and it is very good that you are sharing this with others so they can learn from it, even when you do all the right things something could still go wrong, it is definately an eye opener.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Goodness... What can I say that hasn't already been said about this? Chilling... powerful... inspirational... frightening... gut-wrenching... all at the same time. I really, REALLY appreciate you sharing this video with us, Dale. It's a blunt reminder of what can and will eventually go wrong for many hunters around the world. More importantly, it's a reminder of the power of faith... There's no doubt in my mind that God was looking out for you that morning, and trust me, all of us here are thankful for that.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Dale, I know the harness failed, but what the heck happened to it? Was it properly put on? Was there a defect?

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Dale, first off I am glad you made a full and complete recovery. Secondly I want to thank you for sharing. I am sure these are not fond memories for you. This says a lot about you willing to share for the sake of others safety. Also what a testimony that you have now, the scripture Romans 8:28 came to mind after watching this. Thanks again for sharing.