Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bluegills...again!

I hit my favorite farm pond, today and came home with 22 keepers. I kept nothing less than 8" long and the filets filled a quart sized freezer bag. :smiley_boogie: I can't wait to get them in a skillet and try them out.

There are only 8 bluegills in this basket, as I'd just began fishing. The thickness, vivid colors and strength of these bluegills were impressive. This pond is spring fed and has always produced quality fish, since the day that I discovered it, back in '86. :smiley_bril:

The freezer bag:

Bowhunter57

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
You won't be disappointed! I think Bluegill and Crappie are tough to beat, might not quite compare to Walleye or Perch, but close in my book!

I think they're better.. I think people go apeshit over Walleye and Perch because they're a pretty neutral flavored fish.. Kind of like why people eat the hell out of Cod and Talipia.. Bluegill and Crappie win every time in my book...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I think they're better.. I think people go apeshit over Walleye and Perch because they're a pretty neutral flavored fish.. Kind of like why people eat the hell out of Cod and Talipia.. Bluegill and Crappie win every time in my book...

I totally agree. People just assume perch and walleye are better because they're the big money fish in Ohio. Perch and walleye are indeed delicious, but if given the choice I would eat bluegill and/or crappie any day of the week. This is one reason why I love ice fishing so much. Through the ice, you can absolutely drop the hammer on big bluegills and crappie... and they're even better when pulled from ice-cold clear water instead of 90-degree muddy water.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I totally agree. People just assume perch and walleye are better because they're the big money fish in Ohio. Perch and walleye are indeed delicious, but if given the choice I would eat bluegill and/or crappie any day of the week. This is one reason why I love ice fishing so much. Through the ice, you can absolutely drop the hammer on big bluegills and crappie... and they're even better when pulled from ice-cold clear water instead of 90-degree muddy water.

Right on! A really late Fall or Winter Crappie/Bluegill is where it is at! The texture of the filet is so much better that time of year.

JBrown said:
Through the ice, you can absolutely drop the hammer on big bluegills and crappie... and they're even better when pulled from ice-cold clear water instead of 90-degree muddy water.
JBrown,
The colder water is why this particular farm pond produces such good eating fish, it's spring fed. When I caught these bluegills the water temp was 67. :smiley_bril: Their markings and colors are as crisp and clear as they are when pulled from under the ice.

Bowhunter57

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I think you guys are nuts. Bluegill are great (but thin), crappie are a little mushy but still pretty good. Perch, when caught from clean water, is by far the best fillet to be found....IMO of course. I will say though, if the only perch and walleye I'd ever had came from Lake Erie, I wouldn't have such a high opinion of the perch. I am a big fan of bluegills too, but perch has 'em beat to me.

epe

Lancaster
Damn you guys.. I have been in the mood for some panfish, and you're not making it any better!! Time for some fried mushrooms and fish.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I guess I should clarify... I will, and do eat perch, bluegill and crappie in abundance! We have a fish fry each 4th of July. Here is what 41 lbs of crappie, bluegill and yellow perch fillets look like before they hit the grease. :) And that represents quite a bit of knife work on my part!

Attachments

• IMG00460-20110702-1520.jpg
    IMG00460-20110702-1520.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 164

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I guess I should clarify... I will, and do eat perch, bluegill and crappie in abundance! We have a fish fry each 4th of July. Here is what 41 lbs of crappie, bluegill and yellow perch fillets look like before they hit the grease. :) And that represents quite a bit of knife work on my part!

The 4th you say. Hmmmm

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Yep, come on down. We had half of the town out there last year, be glad to have twice as many this year. We blew up fireworks for 1 1/2 hour straight, as fast as we could light 'em. Only had a couple mis-haps, no one died, all good. :) We had fish, all the side dishes you can imagine, and with last year being a banner year for 'shrooms...we had them too. Had the kids all racing go carts, Mason traded paint a time or two 'cause he's a poor loser and would rather just win. Good clean fun!