Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Nice surprise this morning.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
had the day off today, so I got up early and went to the woods to listen for gobblers at fly down.

I was standing next to the tree that redcloud killed his buck out of last sept looking out over a pasture when i noticed movement on the far side, in the area of his trail cam. Turned out to be 3 deer. They skirted around behind the little patch of brushand trees his camera is in and dropped down over a hill to the bank of a stream.

I had a good idea where they were going. If they follow that creek around for a couple hundred yards they can crossit and work over into a bedding area across the road.

I decided to slip around to my left and stand at the top of a brushy hillside where I could see them cross. I got in behind a low hanging tree branch for a little cover and waited.

As i was waiting I looked back across the field again and said, "damn that looks like the head and ears of another one just inside the treeline over there" It was. As a matter of fact it was 4 more of them.

They passed right in front of redclouds camera. 2 of them were 1/2 racks. 1 of which was a good sized buck.

These 4 worked their way across the pasture to the same are as the other 3. i figured I was in a good spot to see what they were doing so I knelt down on one knee.

The spot they were all congregating in is an interesting little area. it is a really small little meadow next to the stream. on the opposite side of the meadow there is a relatively steep brushy hillside (which i was on top of) and to the north the meadow comes to a point where they can come up the hill along side the creek.

I started to hear twigs snapping slightly to my left and saw the flicker of a tail. looks like they are going up the hill which would bring them out to my left about 35 yards from where I was. The next thing I knew there were twigs snapping directly in front of me. I looked to see the big half rack coming up the hill right towards me.

He got to about 10 - 15 feet from me before he saw me. The look on his face was priceless. He stopped and snorted. At that point I heard 2 more snorts just to the left of me about 10 yards away.

I stood up and said "HI THERE!!!" All 7 of them took off like a shot! back the way they came.

They all ran through an old gate that divides the 2 pastures and stopped and looked back for a second before trotting off.

I slipped back up the hill and followed along the top of it along a brushy fence row so i could see where they all went. I watched all 7 of them go back into the woods through a small opening in the brush that we have suspected as a point where they work in and out of the woods.

After that I went back to the road and headed for my jeep which was parked a couple hundred yards up. I glanced out into a large field and on the opposite side saw 8 does come out of the woods and head south, toward where all those bucks had just gone.

Never heard a gobble but that was fun. I'm glad I decided to get out there for a few minutes this morning. I'm pretty sure Adam will have a couple goood picks of the bucks in a couple days.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Sounds like an awesome morning in the woods Dave! Thanks for sharing it. There's a nice shed laying somewhere....hope you guys find it.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sounds like one heckuva morning stroll. Couldn't get much better. Well, I guess you could wake up with a winning powerball ticket, wake up the Mrs for some loving, and then have a steaming cup of coffee in your hand while you replicated this morning. Outside of that, you had an awesome morning! Let's face it, for most of us working class stiffs, your morning was 100x better than most of ours today. lmao

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Heck, I wish Dante would have just found the side that fell off last week . Dang it man, gotta do it all by myself I guess .

if you still want to get out tomorrow, we should try to the west of the lower pasture.

finished off the day at the lake. caught 1 legal white crappie before the rain started.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
if you still want to get out tomorrow, we should try to the west of the lower pasture.

finished off the day at the lake. caught 1 legal white crappie before the rain started.

That's the plan. That's where the sheds are ;)

Just been waiting until the big boys drop both sides so I can find um lol.