Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ever done this?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
One of the girls we've had off at the shop came back today. This gave me a free morning, which I haven't had for a few weeks. So I shot my bow(s) a little more than usual. First, I cracked out a 60lb recurve. I shot it for an hour or so until I started losing it. To change things up a bit, I went to the shop and got out a 57lb longbow. Again, about an hour into the thing I just couldn't keep it together. I blamed boredom with a touch of exhaustion. So, I got out a Mathews and shot it for the first time in a month or so. Honestly, it didn't hold my attention long as they just shoot where you aim.

I decided I should probably get a few things done. On top of my list was cleaning out my old truck. You find all kinds of good things you forgot you had if you leave your truck full of hunting and shooting crap... I found two judo points! I immediately forgot all the productive things I wanted to do and screwed the judos onto a couple of arrows. I've spent the last couple weeks clearing brush from our woods, so it seemed a good place to do a bit of stump shooting- something I haven't done much of for several years. From the first arrow to the last, I drilled nearly every thing I shot at! A clump of leaves at 40 yds, a wildflower at 15...it just didn't matter! I swear, more so than being tired, I think boredom is what destroyed my shooting at the target butt earlier. Anyone ever noticed the same thing? I gotta believe winging arrows through the woods at stumps and leaves would be about as much fun with a compound, and has to be about the best practice a person could get.

Last edited:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
And here is the one that went from hard to shoot to hard to miss. :)

Attachments

• IMG00313-20120328-1445.jpg
    IMG00313-20120328-1445.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 159

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I hate to admit it, but I've actually never done any "stump shooting" practice sessions. I mean, I've shot at a leaf here and there from a treestand just to check my yardage estimate, but I've never actually gone out with the intention of stump shooting. I bet it would be a blast... probably more fun with a trad bow than a compound, though. Good stuff, Brock!

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I would say it has to be about the best practice for sure. Yardage estimation and you don't get bored/tired/frustrated as quick.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I used to "stump shoot" all the time. Its a dumb name for it really, I rarely actually shoot a stump. :) I don't know how I got away from doing it more often, but I did. I used to rabbit hunt with a recurve a lot, and by that I mean I walked around shooting stuff while my dogs chased rabbits. Sometimes they would chase one by close and I'd kill it, but I don't think I ever killed more than a skillet full in a year. Probably something I will do a lot in the next few months as I haven't been able to motivate myself into a 3D shoot yet this year. One thing that my son and I did last year that was a lot of fun: we shot a big rubber ball with bludgeon points. That is a blast, sorta like stump shooting but probably a little more dynamic. That ball will sail when you hit it squarely!

badger

*Supporting Member*
I went stump shooting a few weeks back. Actually it was more of a walk in the woods with my recurve. I did shoot at a few leaves, and a stump or two. I might head back out one of these days soon.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I did a little more of it this afternoon. Looked for mushrooms while I was out too. I'm gonna have a hard time finding any this year I'd say. We have way too much green stuff up already in the few hotspots I have. Saw a snake (not gonna admit what kind), scared me so bad I jumped a lil and pulled a muscle a bit. I hate snakes. Shoulda "stump shot" it. :)

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I did a little more of it this afternoon. Looked for mushrooms while I was out too. I'm gonna have a hard time finding any this year I'd say. We have way too much green stuff up already in the few hotspots I have. Saw a snake (not gonna admit what kind), scared me so bad I jumped a lil and pulled a muscle a bit. I hate snakes. Shoulda "stump shot" it. :)

You're not alone man, I despise them... I woulda turned around and went back to the truck! :smiley_baby:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
They don't bother me much when I see them from a distance and know they are around. This creepy thing was right at my feet when I saw it. It didn't move until I stomped right beside it, and then it moved fast. I hate it when that happens.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
They don't bother me much when I see them from a distance and know they are around. This creepy thing was right at my feet when I saw it. It didn't move until I stomped right beside it, and then it moved fast. I hate it when that happens.

Probably the only time my big ass could do a back flip... :smiley_clap:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Loved stump shooting way back in the day when a few of us did. It's great practice and definitely a blast with trad gear. Good post Brock.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I won't feel bad if you folks don't believe this - I didn't either. :) 47 steps (which is very close to a yard). 60lb recurve. Probably never saw a prettier arrow flight in my life. :)

Attachments

• IMG00319-20120402-1040.jpg
    IMG00319-20120402-1040.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 135

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Pffft... lucky once in a while would be more like it. Shoot enough, eventually one of 'em will hit what you aim at. :)