Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Which ATV?

1hornwilly

*Supporting Member III*
Here's the question: You could buy any ATV and money is no object. It's main use is hunting (not mud ridin). What do you buy? And Why? Just trying to get some ideas. I am about to buy another one and just wondering what you fellas like. I currently have a Honda Rancher 350 and it runs just fine...but I'm thinking something a little more bad ass. Thoughts?

P.S. money is always an object, but for purposes of this question I thought it'd be more fun to see what you'd get if it weren't.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
With out getting into TOO to much "Raa Raa";
I love my 2010 Brute Force 750 V twin. Bad ass w/ lots more power than I regularly need... but when I do, Its there in a heart beat!

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
Rincon... My buddy has one and had it fall off his fifth wheel and roll 5 times in the ditch...lol... Started it up and loaded it back up...

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I have the 2006 680 Rincon and I have had no problems so far. The worst I put it through is a 5 x 10 trailer HEAPING with firewood....... Brought it up and out of the woods without a problem. I had a 350 Rancher before this and it TOO gave me no problems in 5 years.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm a Honda guy and always have been. Started on an '86 250 Fourtrax that was absolutely bullet proof. Then it was a 2001 Rancher 350 that is still getting the job done at the farm and shows no sign of stopping anytime soon. I bought a 2007 Rancher 420 and added a fuel mapper, aftermarket exhaust and mud tires. It's a badass machine and will do anything I need it to do.

Assuming a UTV is out of the question and I'm just buying an ATV, it would be a toss up between a Honda Rincon or a Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI Special Edition. The Grizzlies are also badass bikes and would be what I would own if left Honda. But at $11K for the Grizzly 700, I'd spend the extra money and buy a UTV. And that's a whole 'nother discussion!

epe

Lancaster
One of the new yamahas with power steering.. Would help get you in and out of tight spots with a deer on the back..

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
With out getting into TOO to much "Raa Raa";
I love my 2010 Brute Force 750 V twin. Bad ass w/ lots more power than I regularly need... but when I do, Its there in a heart beat!

CJD and I both have the Brute Force 750's and love them.

I'm a honda guy also, I have a foreman with 2500 miles on it and it still runs great. Besides brake adjustments and oil changes I've only had to replace the front left wheel bearing. If money was no object and you were strictly using it for hunting I would look into a kubota diesel side by side. A buddy of mine has one on his farm and the thing is an absolute tank in the woods, geared low so you can pull or drag just about anything but still has a top speed of about 30 mph, a huge dump bed in the back, and still pretty comfortable to ride in.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
My uncle had one of the kubota diesels TOO. He loved it..

They're kick ass no doubt. But you can hear that sucker coming literally a mile away. Talk about a rattle can. Sounds like two marbles in a coffee can when moving.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have had a Honda Fourman 400 which was fine. Now we have a 2006 rancher 400 and 2003 yamaha Kodiak450. Honestly, I ask a lot of them and the Kodiak or Rancher do everything I need them to do. The Kodiak is a bit more comfy with independent suspension front and rear. It also seems to traverse the trails a bit better. Differential lock and the independent suspension are very nice features. If you are just looking for a workhorse, I would think most of them will do what you want anymore. Not knocking the guys on here that have posted some pretty killer machines, but really a 400-450 will do most anything you ask of it.

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
We have a kubota 900 diesel and we don't care for it. Terrible in the snow, slow,loud and always falling out of gear. Next time we're gonna try a gator...

epe

Lancaster
I would get a Honda Fourtrax Rincon. Hard to beat a Honda ATV IMHO.

Do those have power steering and fuel injection? I think a lot of guys on here choose what they are loyal to.. You can't beat efi on a quad. No more problems starting it in 5 degree weather.. I know suzukis and yamahas have them now...