Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bearded hen

Milo

Tatonka guide.
reminds me of this girl

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
What county? I have seen some in the past but for some reason the area I work in has alot. This winter I really noticed it when looking at winter flocks . Had up to 5 bearded hens and pretty much every flock had one at least. I thought that was w little weird.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
What county? I have seen some in the past but for some reason the area I work in has alot. This winter I really noticed it when looking at winter flocks . Had up to 5 bearded hens and pretty much every flock had one at least. I thought that was w little weird.

It's in Crawford county. This is the second bearded hen that I know of on 2 seperate properties.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Cool. I always thought they were uncommon, but there were a few around. For some reason the area I work in has a bunch.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Cool. I always thought they were uncommon, but there were a few around. For some reason the area I work in has a bunch.

I'm not sure how common they are. This is the only one I have had on cam but even that doesn't mean much given we have very few birds in this area.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Yeah. I had only seen a couple before moving to this area. It must just depend on local genetics or something.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
I killed one with a 7 1/2" beard back in 95 and will never shoot another one, this was the the first of two bearded hens I saw that morning. The place I killed her is the same area I took one of my best bearded and nicest 1 1/2" spurred birds. Its a shame I cant hunt there anymore :tantrum: