Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2012 TOO Golf Thread

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
So let's hear how things are going on the links around here!!! :smiley_clap:

I have played 45 holes to date and the first 36 were ugly as sin! I played for the first time on the 11th and played like a first timer. There was nothing really good to take away from that round other than the fact that it was great to finally be back on the course! We played a 9-hole two man scramble on Wednesday last week and I was mediocre at best. I have 2 drives of 290+ and my putting was acceptable given they had just top seeded the greens. Got out for 18 more yesterday and the first 9 holes was as ugly as anything I've thrown up in a long time. I did putt well, but that was about it. Then something clicked and I laid waste on the back 9. I started with a double right out of the clubhouse which is pretty normal for me when making the turn. Then I went lights out and finished even par over the next 8 holes for a 2 over 37 on the back. I had back to back birdies at one point and back to back to back one putt holes. I hit 5 greens in regulations, 4 of 6 fairways, and had 16 putts for that 9. It felt good to finally play well to say the least!!!

2012 Golf Totals
Oxbow: 9
Lakeside: 18
Golf Club of WV: 18

Best 9 Hole Score: 2 over 37
Best 18 Hole Score: 14 over 85

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
you're off to a good start. I played 9 at the Lions Den in Canal fultion yesterday evening. Shot 54, which I was OK with being my first time out this year and it being super wet. Slow greens, and hitting out of the muck if not on the fairway.

Buckslayer

*Supporting Member*
Jackson County
I have been golfing a couple times a week all winter seems like. I have been consistently shooting between 75-80 with my last two scores being 80 and 79. Should continue to improve with the better conditions of the courses drying out and getting the greens rolling a bit smoother.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I've played four rounds so far this year. My first being a 98, then a 93, blew up on a 101, then shot a 83 yesterday. I bought all new clubs last year, and could see my game improving as the year went on. My goal for this year was to be more consistent with my drives, and to work on my short game (inside 70 yards). It took three rounds to get back into things, but yesterday felt good. I had one bad drive, but the rest were all good for me. I chipped one in from 30 yards out for a bird, and only had three bad holes. If you take out those three bad ones, I was only +6 for the day through 15 holes. That is great golf for me! I've got one of the ugliest swings off the tee box, but if I can continue to control those like I have been this year, I fully expect to be playing consistently in the 80's this year. Like I said, my short game needs some improvement also, but that is coming around also.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Ya fuggers. Now I want to go play but not going to have time to go until next Monday. Let ya know how I do lol. It will be the first time I have swung a club in 3 years.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Had the chance to play again on Monday and had one of the best, worst rounds of my life. I shot an 11 over 47 on an easy course, which is a pretty piss pour performance on my part. The ugliest part of the round was the 3 straight 3 putts I had in the middle of the round. To put that in to perspective, I played 20 full rounds last year and average one 3 putt per 27 holes. (I had 3 straight one putts on Sunday, so the 3 putts break my heart!!!) Somewhat in my defense, the greens were mowed across the break on those three holes and it made them tough to read. The one saving grace to my game has been my putting and it just wasn't there for me on those 3 holes. Another big issue was the fact taht I was chipping for the green and not a spot on the green, so I left myself some monster putts. No matter how well you putt, starting at 30+ feet every time you putt for par doesn't help the score!

The good part of the round was the fact that I putted for par on 8 of 9 holes and hit 6 of 7 fairways; so I was pleased with that performance. However, I only had one GIR and missed both Par 3's. Part of my problem right now is the fact that with all the weight loss and gym time, I am more flexible and stronger than I have ever been since golfing regularly. I have no idea how far I can hit some of my clubs now. Perfect example was the 180 yard Par 3 where I hit a 5-iron 20 yards over the green. I have never hit a 5-iron 180 in my life and it is a club I rarely hit. I hit it right at the pin and it was one of the best swings/shots of my golf career, but it was away long. There was a 200 yard Par 3 later in the round, so I hit the 5-iron again just to make sure it was not a fluke. I hit it 205, but pushed it just right of the green. So while I missed both greens, I learned I have a legit 200 yard club in my bag. It is not just my 5-iron that I am hitting longer either, so I'm in for a bit of a learning experience the next few rounds while I learn my new lengths for the clubs in my bag. For the longest time, I was lucky to hit my PW 75 yards. Twice this year, I have hit it 100-110 right over the flag stick...

2012 Golf Totals
Lakeside: 18
Worthington: 9

Best 18 Hole Score: 14 over 85

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
You'll have those days Jesse... putting for par on 8 of 9... hittting 6 of 7 fairways, you are striking the ball awesome!! This early in the season short game is tough, especially when some greens are still in rough shape from the winter and don't have the real summer-like smoothness to them. But then again I could never putt worth a shit! :)

3-putts kept me from State tournament 3 years straight in HS.... man I wish I could putt.... :smiley_blackeye:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Got out and played 18 more at Lakeside yesterday with a stoved pinky finger, so I really can't complain about an 84 considering I had trouble gripping the clubs! I was 9 over on the front and 5 over on the back. I hate double bogeys with a passion and I had one on the first hole and the tenth. I only had one three putt all day which was a far cry better than last Monday's round. I was pretty inconsistent on the front hitting only 2 fairways and 2 green in regulation. I had one par, the double, and the rest were bogeys for a true bogey golf 9 holes. On the back, I played a little better hitting 5 of the 7 fairways and 4 greens in regulation. I had a total of 35 putts and I'll take that any day! It was a beautiful day and I was happy just to be out!!!

2012 Golf Totals
Lakeside: 36

Best 18 Hole Score: 14 over 84

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Well, I played with hackers yesterday and I played like one. There is no doubt that my golf game goes the way of those playing with me. The better the competition, the better I play and visa versa. It is hard to get in a rhythm when you are constantly waiting for guys to find balls and take 4-5 shots to reach the greens. The only thing that was good about my round yesterday was my lag putting. I was dropping 30+ footers to within 3' all day. I'll take it considering the rest of my game suffered...

2012 Golf Totals
Oxbow: 18
Lakeside: 36

Best 18 Hole Score: 14 over 84

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Stupid waste of land.. :smiley_depressive:

You would rethink that when you saw the ground around the place I played yesterday. They own some of the best hunting in our county. That's where the rumored 200-incher was running a decade ago. It's an absolute deer Mecca.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
You would rethink that when you saw the ground around the place I played yesterday. They own some of the best hunting in our county. That's where the rumored 200-incher was running a decade ago. It's an absolute deer Mecca.

Great.. Get us permission... lol

oakswamper

around Toledo
Here is a golf ethics question for you.

What if you were playing in the club championship tournament finals and the match was halved at the end of 17 holes. You had the honor and hit your ball a modest two hundred fifty yards to the middle of the fairway, leaving a simple six iron to the pin. Your opponent then hits his ball, lofting it deep into the woods to the right of the fairway. Being the ...golfing gentleman that you are, you help your opponent look for his ball. Just before the permitted five minute search period ends, your opponent says: "Go ahead and hit your second shot and if I don't find it in time, I'll concede the match."

You hit your ball, landing it on the green, stopping about ten feet from the pin. About the time your ball comes to rest, you hear your opponent exclaim from deep in the woods: "I found it!". The second sound you hear is a click, the sound of a club striking a ball and the ball comes sailing out of the woods and lands on the green, stopping no more than six inches from the hole.

Now here is the ethical dilemma:

Do you pull the cheating bastard’s ball out of your pocket and confront him with it or do you keep your mouth shut
?