Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Help with a toyota truck

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Okay now that we know where my son is going to be stationed my son wants me too start looking for a truck for him.... he's partial to the tundras (Toyota ) 4 wheel drive extended cab.... not a Toyota guy myself but figured some on here were.... his dollar amount for buying is no higher then 13k so he can have it paid off before his enlistment is up..... most of the Toyota's are hovering around 100k on the mileage.... myself I'm not comfortable spending.g that kind of money with that kind of mileage on domestic trucks.... but what are your opinions on the tundras? I did find one I'm going to look at that is an 02 with 40k but that is a rare find lol.... hanks for any help....

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I was looking at trucks a week ago. There are some great deals to be had on the tundra trucks. Chevy, ford, and dodge seem to be way overpriced these days even on used. But I managed to find an 09 tundra 4x4 with 50k miles and crew cab for 21k. Give it some time this 4 dollar gas will drop the bottom out of truck prices again. I remember back in 08 when gas hit 4 bucks you could get a brand new 1500 that sticker was 38k for 24k. Today they're back at 38k. So give it some months and you'll see these prices fall again.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
That's what I was hoping for Joe... he's at school now in VA and won't need one until after he graduates so we've got a few weeks of looking ahead of us.... hoping so deals pop up....

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
My dad had a 2001 Tundra that lost the tranny under warranty, which was a common thing with that year of truck. But it was a great truck other than that.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
My dad had a 2001 Tundra that lost the tranny under warranty, which was a common thing with that year of truck. But it was a great truck other than that.

That's what I'm kinda looking for Jesse known issues and mileage reports so to speak... I've got 177k on my silverado with few major issues and he'll need that kind of luck lol.... his price range is lower cause he's also looking too buy a bass boat as well lol... I guess I could just sell him my boat and truck package and start new hahaha but I wasn't looking too do that for another 3 years lol.....

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
If I remember right, mrex had a couple tundras in his turkey pics a few weeks back. Maybe shoot him a PM. I don't have any experience with toyota trucks... I've always been a ford truck guy. I'm really hoping Joe's right about the truck prices. I'd like to get a F150 here soon, maybe one or two years old, but right now they still want $30k and higher for them.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
02's were recalled for frame corrosion issues in northern climate states as well as a gas tank strap and cross member above the spare tire. Oxygen sensor only go 100K and when they go you will be buying 4 of them at 125 a pop. Rotors were also undersized and had a brake issue. Not enough surface area cooling causing the rotors to easily warp but can be remedied with an upgrade cryo rotor. good news about the recall is is if the frame is effected, it will more than likely be replaced free of charge. There is also an undocumented issue with the power steering control pack. Some like to rust out fro the inside. Its an easy fix if your somewhat handy and have beer and a buddie. its been the best truck i have ever owned for the way i have treated it. The problem with the Japanese in general is they are prideful sonsabitches and will never admit fault on some things but you will not find a better built truck. I cannot see myself ever owning anything but a toyota. i have 2...if you found an 02 with that low miles I will be shocked if its there in the morning. I have a friend that turned in an 06 crew cab in average condition and they gave him 16 in trade... thats a lot of coin...

Gordo

Athens County
I bought a 2000 Toyota tundra sr5 last year. 4 wheel drive/ extended cab.

The 2000s where recalled for rust issues in the frame. Before I bought the truck it had just been recalled so it had a new frame on it. When bought it was at 90k miles

I'm at over 100,000 miles. I need to replace the o2 sensors asap.

No other major repairs. Nicest truck vie ever had.

It was tough to find one in my price range(10k) with under 100k miles.

I don't regret it at all and she's still running strong.

I love my yota

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I wouldn't be afraid of the mileage on most newer vehicles. I would be more concerned with finding a middle aged guy that was a maintenance freak ready to upgrade his truck. Find yourself a one owner truck owned by a 50-60yr old retired guy (that doesn't have a blade of grass out of place when you pull into his driveway) and you will know you found the right truck whether it has 80k or 120k miles.

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
J,

Im on my 3rd Toyota tacoma. My first 2 i put 250,000 miles on em..never a problem. The one i have now has 246,000 on it and has had no problems. I literally beat the living hell out of this truck on a daily basis(Checking on logging jobs). Hell..i dont change the oil but every 20,000 miles. I plan on keeping this one for another 2 years. i should have have over 350,000 when i sell it.

I would have no fear in buying one with high miliage.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Mental note: Never buy a truck off Mountaineer.:smiley_crocodile:

J- You want some tips on locating trucks? Give me a call or text when you have 5-10 minutes and a pen/paper handy. I can find trucks.

epe

Lancaster
The recalled trucks- tacomas, the frames were made with recycled steel, and the proper coating was not put on.. It went Toyota pickup-t-100-tacoma-tundra. When they went to the all new Tundras the "tundra"became the new tacoma. Dad got rid of his tacoma, and got a 06 tacoma. It is A LOT bigger than his old one. I have a 95 t-100. Just turned over 200k with the 3.4l v6 . It took me three months to find a southern one without body rust. It has been a good truck. I would not be afraid of high miles.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1332730578541.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1332730578541.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 148
  • uploadfromtaptalk1332730603407.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1332730603407.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 170

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Darn good looking truck Eric! I have always loved these trucks. Just not quite big enough to do what I need them to do. I need a crew cab, long bed, 4x4 that can handle my gooseneck trailer loaded to the hilt, a 9-10' plow with a full pallet of salt in the back, and I just haven't found this in a Toyota yet. THose full size Tundras sure do look nice though. A good bit salty for me in price yet.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
They already brought one out. 2007 SEMA show. It was SWEET in my eyes. Tundra with a 660 ft lbs Hino diesel engine and duals. Perfect IMHO.