Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Mossberg using their head!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've never been much of a mossy fan, but I have to admit that's a pretty good idea. Sharp looking, too!

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
It looks like an interesting however I don't care for an extended mag on a hunting bolt gun. I wonder if there is a shorter 5 round mag available?

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
That's neater than crap Been but, there is always a but you know. Not as good as the Savage .223 I've got fer sale! :smiley_arrogant:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Yeah, maybe it isn't a rare, deeply blued, wood stocked gun but I thought it was a perfect product to bring to market at this time.

Mossy using their head...

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Many, many shooters pay darn good money to have their rifle accept magazines so I think it is far from a "gimmick". Google "bottom metal" and see what the fuss is about. lol

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
The biggest problem this rifle will have is over coming the Mossberg name. The Mossberg name has been hurt by decades of selling cheaper guns, granted for the most part very serviceable guns. Too many guys won't give it a second look just because of the name, sad if it's as good as Rifle Shooting mag reported.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
The biggest problem this rifle will have is over coming the Mossberg name. The Mossberg name has been hurt by decades of selling cheaper guns, granted for the most part very serviceable guns. Too many guys won't give it a second look just because of the name, sad if it's as good as Rifle Shooting mag reported.

Yep. Kinda like Taurus and handguns. Not quite as drastic but close.

There is also the other segment that if it isn't a Winny, Colt or Browning it just below them. See it all the time. Sometimes with a good reason at first but times change and so does manufactures.

It only takes one winner to change a companies direction. Taurus was struggling until the Judge. Talk about a gimmick...but a smart one.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I don't care what people say about them, they're a good hunting gun. I've had my 500 in the rain, mud, snow, sleet, knocking brush, laying in the bottom of a kayak soaking wet, froze with ice, Spring, Summer, Fall, and winter she goes bang every time and shucks another shell in the bore. She won't win a beauty contest, especially with 3 coats of camo paint.. But I've killed everything legal for killing in ohio with it except a hog. And she'll still hit a paint can at 200 with the cantilever rifled barrel.. Anything more is just marketing hype. I hunt hard and the last thing i worry about is my weapons beauty.

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I don't care what people say about them, they're a good hunting gun. I've had my 500 in the rain, mud, snow, sleet, knocking brush, laying in the bottom of a kayak soaking wet, froze with ice, Spring, Summer, Fall, and winter she goes bang every time and shucks another shell in the bore. She won't win a beauty contest, especially with 3 coats of camo paint.. But I've killed everything legal for killing in ohio with it except a hog. And she'll still hit a paint can at 200 with the cantilever rifled barrel.. Anything more is just marketing hype. I hunt hard and the last thing i worry about is my weapons beauty.

Copy that. I had one and dad still has one. They have been great guns. I killed that doe at 165 yards with his this year and it'll shoot passed that with ease. One of the best shooting slug guns I've ever been around...