Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Smart Phones

Gordo

Athens County
iPhone 4s. Just upgraded from my first iPhone, thought about getting something new but didn't feel like re learning another phone.

I bought this gps app a week or two ago and it's the shit. Cost a couple bucks but well worth it. Trumps the hell out of my garmin unit. The coolest feature is to b able to save a picture with different way points. Definitely my most powerful app. Only prob is that my phone gets spotty coverage in a couple areas.

'motionX-GPS'

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The preloaded Maps app that comes on the iPhone will work without cell coverage if you preload the maps. When I go places I know I'll be out of cell coverage, I load the maps beforehand. My phone is more accurate than my $400 Garmin and rivals my $1K work unit.

Gordo

Athens County
The preloaded Maps app that comes on the iPhone will work without cell coverage if you preload the maps. When I go places I know I'll be out of cell coverage, I load the maps beforehand. My phone is more accurate than my $400 Garmin and rivals my $1K work unit.

You on it. I'll have to figure that out.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
My daughter and I have iphones, I really like it. My son's both have droids, can't remember which ones, but my one son works for Qualcomm and they make the chips for the droids and Tim knows how to "tweek" them to do some different things.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
iphone 4S. Love it, except it seems you need to have a charger near by at all times. Between talking all the time and doing emails for work the batteries take a beating.

Very good camera apps out there too! :smiley_coolpeace:

RUT NUT

iphone 4S. Love it, except it seems you need to have a charger near by at all times. Between talking all the time and doing emails for work the batteries take a beating.

Very good camera apps out there too! :smiley_coolpeace:

I may be able to help you with your battery life. You might already know this but....double tap your home button. Once you do this you will see app icons. These are apps that are still running. These will slow your phones overall performance down and eat at your battery. Just hold your finger on one until the little minus sign appears. Close all of them out. When I was first showed this....I had like 50 damn apps running at one time! You will be surprised at how much better your phone will perform. Now that I know this....I just make a point to do this a couple times a day. My phone is at 67% as we speak from a full charge this morning at 4:30. So I've only lost 33% of my battery in 18 hours! And I USE IT! It hasn't just been sitting in my pocket all day! Haha!

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I may be able to help you with your battery life. You might already know this but....double tap your home button. Once you do this you will see app icons. These are apps that are still running. These will slow your phones overall performance down and eat at your battery. Just hold your finger on one until the little minus sign appears. Close all of them out. When I was first showed this....I had like 50 damn apps running at one time! You will be surprised at how much better your phone will perform. Now that I know this....I just make a point to do this a couple times a day. My phone is at 67% as we speak from a full charge this morning at 4:30. So I've only lost 33% of my battery in 18 hours! And I USE IT! It hasn't just been sitting in my pocket all day! Haha!

Thanks for the advice Rut Nut!! That's got to be the problem, I've probably got too many apps still up and running and sucking down the battery.

RUT NUT

Thanks for the advice Rut Nut!! That's got to be the problem, I've probably got too many apps still up and running and sucking down the battery.

No problem man. I was having the same issue. Plus YouTube videos were taking forever to buffer. All that has went away since I found out this little tip.