Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Perry County?

TurkeyFizz

I Have recently been Invited out to Perry County to hunt deer this fall. I have seached the forums to see what was being said about hunting in this county, but have found very little. I will be hunting private and public areas. Was wondering If anyone on here hunts the county and If you think it is worth my while to go. Anything on #'s and size of the deer or whatever would be welcomed. Thank you

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I Have recently been Invited out to Perry County to hunt deer this fall. I have seached the forums to see what was being said about hunting in this county, but have found very little. I will be hunting private and public areas. Was wondering If anyone on here hunts the county and If you think it is worth my while to go. Anything on #'s and size of the deer or whatever would be welcomed. Thank you

Hard for me to answer this one. It is Ohio. There are areas in every county that hold decent deer and have decent deer numbers. There are also areas in every county where the hunting might not be as good as a mile or so down the road. Seems like that is just hunting to me. I am sure someone with more first hand experience in Perry should chime in sooner or later. Welcome to TOO.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've hunted in parts of Perry County a few times over the past 9 or 10 years. IMO, it's much like all the other counties in SE Ohio, as far as deer numbers go. I've always seen deer down there, and we've had some run-ins with some dandy bucks. Even though some might argue otherwise, there are plenty of deer down there and plenty of hunting opportunities on public ground. My advice... Since you'll be unfamiliar with the territory, spend 2/3 of your time scouting and 1/3 of your time hunting.

epe

Lancaster
Had a lease there for about 8 years. Went from ok, to great when we put in plots, dealt with tresspassers...Has went to shit over the last three years.. Didn't see a buck in the 600 acres this year.. All of our stands, feeders, and blinds got stolen this year.. Not hunting there anymore.. Tons of poachers now, along with a lot of Yotes.. Hopefully the area you are hunting is better.. Have fun.. ;)

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I live just North of Perry County. From what I see and hear, there are some Great Bucks there. But Epe is right, don't leave anything in the woods is what I'm told.

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
When i hear a hunter grip about how poor the hunting is in a certain area it means its good. Ill be checking out Perry county. Thanks for the Hot tip. :)

epe

Lancaster
When i hear a hunter grip about how poor the hunting is in a certain area it means its good. Ill be checking out Perry county. Thanks for the Hot tip. :)

Son, I guarandammtee you couldn't out hunt me there... Have fun putting cameras up to do your scouting. The mushroom hunters will just take em.. Have fun falling off one of the 100ft high walls into one of the strip pit lakes.. ;)

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Son, I guarandammtee you couldn't out hunt me there... Have fun putting cameras up to do your scouting. The mushroom hunters will just take em.. Have fun falling off one of the 100ft high walls into one of the strip pit lakes.. ;)

That's a pretty bold statement right there. As much as Paul drones on about "hunting deer on their terms" and the like, you have to admit, he's got a pretty good track record for killing nice public land bucks in Ohio.

epe

Lancaster
Oh and he doesn't make bold statements? ;) And what he doesn't know is by the time fall rolls around it will be clear cut to the ground. Ohio Mulch bought it and they are wiping Everything down.. The place used to be great.. There is one set of people- family that lives in front of the property that has poached the Hell out of it.. About 90% sure they are the ones taking the stuff. I caught the one kid on the property last spring turkey, but the person whose name was on the lease was out of town, so I couldn't press charges....

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
I spent alittle time in Perry county 2 years ago. I found an awesome shed while turkey hunting the Wayne.
And I went after that buck.in the fall..I got one chance at em but blew it. I never saw him again.
But I will agree..its like the wild west in that county. I can't recall how many people i yelled at but it was a lot. Sons of bitches were riding atvs on the Wayne. Every punk I ran into I cussed em out. I remember approaching my truck with caution after my long walks out of the woods in the dark. 357 mag was ready.

I saw a lot of bucks during the rut..all day sits were producing 10 or so buck sightings but most bucks were scrubby.

Last edited: