Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Which Treestand

blemas

Summit County
I am looking at hang on stands and have come to an impass. Talk me out of / into the millenium stand I am looking at on Cabelas website. I like the idea of being able to move it from tree to tree to tree with the receiver, the weight and the lifetime warranty. I was lookint at other stands out there and liked some of the gorilla hang ons. What say you?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
No brainier dude. Millennium. I sat in Jesse's Millennium stand to test it out and let me tell you what.. My wiener moved slightly.. C O M F O R T A B L E.

blemas

Summit County
How hard is it to get the receiver mounted to the tree? I like the idea of how easy it is to set up by sliding the post into the receiver but I'd be lying if I told you that it makes me a bit nervous thinking about how it goes together!

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Im pretty sure it just chains up there. Then you slide the seat into the receiver. You could always throw another strap up there. I would think the chain would bite better though. Greg is my go to guy on that subject though

blemas

Summit County
Since I am relatively new round these parts, which one of ya'll is Greg. I have seen references to his video, can you point me in the direction of the video?

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
Since I am relatively new round these parts, which one of ya'll is Greg. I have seen references to his video, can you point me in the direction of the video?

I'll throw some pics up for you tomorrow if you want a closer look. I've owned or hunted from just about every brand of stand over the years. (I still have 14 hang-ons with 7 sets of sticks, and 3 ladders from 8 different manufacturers.) I wish I had saved my money on the hang-on's and ladders. The Millennium with a footrest, cold weather pad, and Bow Hitch is the cat's fuggin' ass buddy.

Last year, I sat all day multiple times. I'd only done it once before. My back kills me in cheap hang-on's. I sat until 1 o'clock before I stood up once I sat down an hour after daylight. It's like sitting in a lounge chair 25' off the ground. The bracket is kinda a pain at times, but you soon forget when you sit down. And if you add the 2 Lone Wolf Versa buttons and get the strap, you can hang this thing like you set it in concrete.

Buy the Millennium, you won't regret it.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have all kinds of tree stands. Last year I bought a semi-load of store demos/returns/overstock. I hung stands in just about every tree it seems. I really liked the Gorilla stands the best. This year, we got setup as a Big Dog dealer. I have just about sold out of every hang on we had. We only bought 30 hang on stands and they are flying off the shelf. I honestly do not know if I will have one left to hang in order to try out for myself. I have only used my Millenium stand this year. It is portable. It is comfortable. It is pretty light. In regards to comfort comparisons, the only hang on I have personally sat in that comes close was the Gorilla King Kong. Those are really nice. You better buy 3-4 to hang in different spots though because you are definitely going to lose the mobility and ease of hanging with the Gorilla. I am sure I will hunt out of a couple of mine before the season is over, but have not yet. Portable and mobile is what I have used in my first 3 hunts this year. Millenium is the stand I have used. Hope this helps.

FWIW- There are many nice hang on stands out there and I have not used them all by a long shot. I did hang about 6 different models last year though. Of those, the Gorilla was the best.

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
Well, I'm a big man - 6'4" and well over 300 (I carry it well and have recently lost 40lbs and still losing; but I digress), and the millennium stand is bar none the most comfortable and roomiest stand I've ever bought or sat in. If you believe comfort is key than buy one and enjoy your hunt!

huntnfool

Thornville
Woodbury outfitter has marksman luxury stand. This thing is very large and confortable. Has a 3 inch thick pad and very roomy. Almost reminds you of a climber. It only goes for 69.99 normally 99.99. I have seen the millennium and they look confy as well. Just not sure I am sold on them though. To me it does not make sence to carry it in and out every time and you have to set the sticks up as well. I think summit viper wold be better for that IMO. Now if your just hunting evenings then that may be differant.

Regular gorrilla stands are not confy for all days sits. Looks at the millennium or the large hang ons with thick padded seats.

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
Woodbury outfitter has marksman luxury stand. This thing is very large and confortable. Has a 3 inch thick pad and very roomy. Almost reminds you of a climber. It only goes for 69.99 normally 99.99. I have seen the millennium and they look confy as well. Just not sure I am sold on them though. To me it does not make sence to carry it in and out every time and you have to set the sticks up as well. I think summit viper wold be better for that IMO. Now if your just hunting evenings then that may be differant.

If I was soley hunting out with sticks and stands, I would probably have a climber too. However, I use the Millennium/LW set-up to make moves based on what I see from other stands which are prehung. Last night was the perfect example of how I will be working exclusively starting next year. I prehung 20' of climbing sticks and a bracket for the Millennium. Using one LW stick, Greg hung his stand to film from just above me. In spots I plan to hunt more than a half dozen times in a year, or stands super tight to cover, I will hang sticks, cut lanes, and leave a bracket. Hauling that stand in is worth the comfort. Especially with TTS from GamePlan Gear. In spots where I am winging it based on sign or MRI (most recent information), I'll go in with the LW's and hang.

Look, I'm not getting anything from selling this set-up; I work for neither company. I push these so hard because I truly believe they make you a better hunter. Other set-ups can do that as well, I simply know this set-up the best. (Note: I am a climber convert. I owned an API Shooting Star and hunted with that my first few years almost exclusively. I also owned a Summit Goliath that was comfortable as all hell. I owned 21 hang-ons at one time, so I've been around the block with stands.) I like the Muddy sticks, I simply prefer the height available with the LW's. The LW stands are nice, but my 6'1", 225lbs frame loves the contour of the Millennium. The bracket sucks sometimes, but the cost/benefit tells me it doesn't really matter once I sit down! And climbers limit your tree options. They have their place, but only if you don't have a stick/stand combo you love! ;)

Last edited:

blemas

Summit County
Thanks for the youtube link! It looks like about the same type of learning curve when you first get a climber.

The versatility of the sticks and hang on is what I am after. I have a SUmmit Viper climber that has treated me well for the past 4 years but as I learn more and see more, there are some areas that I want to hunt that are not conducive to my climber.

Some pics would be appreciated Jesse. I am sensing a cabelas trip in the next few weeks, I have a cash card that will probably let me break even on gas and tax if I drop over $300 there!

I just cant wait to get out there. I have yet to gear up for the season, I have been spending what was once free time helping out on a campaign for the Ohio House of Representatives.

Last edited:

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Like everyone else is saying, you can't beat the Millennium. It may weigh a few more lbs than some other hang-ons, but it's has a huge platform, it's easy to hand, and just as comfortable as a climber. My pictures may not be of much use, but I will post a link to my photobucket page. The pictures are huge so you can see the detail, so I won't post them up here. BTW, I am Greg.

http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/dd162/gf319804/Hunting Junk/

badger

*Supporting Member*
Like everyone else is saying, you can't beat the Millennium. It may weigh a few more lbs than some other hang-ons, but it's has a huge platform, it's easy to hand, and just as comfortable as a climber. My pictures may not be of much use, but I will post a link to my photobucket page. The pictures are huge so you can see the detail, so I won't post them up here. BTW, I am Greg.

http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/dd162/gf319804/Hunting Junk/

Thanks for putting up the pics Greg. I haven't seen these set ups before but was curious after reading this thread. So am I understanding this right that there's a bracket that holds the stand that you can prehang? If I'm on the right track here, that sounds pretty slick. How much are the brackets by themselves?

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
The brackets are like $25 a piece. If you wait until the beginning of the year, you can usually get a better deal on them at the outdoor expos. The nice thing about the bracket is you don't have to fight with it like you would trying to hang a treestand. you just chain it up, pull the stand up and slide it into place. Pretty simple. Here's a pic from their website on the bracket how it works.

Attachments

• m100lockon5.jpg
    m100lockon5.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 138

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
Here is a view from the side...

You can see the two black knobs which are the Lone Wolf Versa buttons. If you go this route, you'll want to order 4 of those and an extra strap that goes with the sticks. (Get the carry harness for the sticks too.) There are matching buttons on the opposite sides. The two buttons on the side of the platform allow you to use the extra strap to cinch you stick to the stand. (More on that in my "How I roll..." thread.) The two buttons at the base of the platform allow you to use the extra strap to secure the base of the stand when you hang it. This makes for a rock solid hang.

You can usually get brackets for $20 at the Expo, and they are willing to deal. Anyone with these, let's get together on an order this year. I want at least 6-10 more. They'll make us a bulk deal.

As for additional comfort, get the footrest and the cold weather pad. You'll appreciate it come all-day sits in November. Small price to pay for comfort IMO...

blemas

Summit County
Thanks for the help and pics (Jesse and Greg). I was really cool to see the video and get an idea of a simple way to hang the sticks. I picked up the stand and the sticks at cabelas last night and with mh coupon and rewards points, I was out the door for about $270. Now I just need to pick up a linesman belt, no other way that i can see to hang the sticks safely) and make / buy the carry strap. My only dilema is that the two old oaks in my backyard are over 30" in diameter so I will have to try them out on the neighbors tree!

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Congrats on the purchase! That is the only thing I don't like about those sticks is how short the strap is for them, but you can buy extensions for larger dia. trees. If you are looking for a good lineman's belt, I would suggest spending another $100 and buying the Muddy harness. It comes with a lineman's belt and the tree strap, and is very lightweight and comfortable. You can skip out on buying the carrying strap. I will take pics and explain what I did tonight when I get home. Makes things a heck of a lot simpler.