Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Services Need a smith

Big H

Medina
Is anyone here a gunsmith or can you recommend one? I have a project gun that I have had sitting around for quite a while. It is a Savage 220 hammerless and I want to turn it into a turkey killer. Looking for someone that can thread it for choke tubes, possibly backbore it etc...

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I know there is a good one in the Loudonville area. Can't remember his name right off the bat. I will get it for you tomorrow.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
What you are wanting done is pretty basic fir most Smiths. I just don't know your area sell. I remember running into a guy from Valley City that was knowledgable. He mentioned it being close to Mentor.

Valley City Gunsmiths was the name I believe. Smaller shop. May wanna give them a call about prices/references.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Ron, I think there's a gunsmith down on Chippewa Rd. I have seen the sign out front a couple hundred times, but I've never had any dealings with the guy. Might be worth a call at least.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Heard he was good also. Just thought that would be a good drive for you on something most smiths should be prof at.

He has a reputation of probably being the best shotgun barrel guy in Ohio. However he works mostly on target guns, not even sure he would do this job. Also I've heard it can take awhile to get work done and Ron might not be able to wait long. But all that said he's one of the best.

Big H

Medina
I am familiar with Eyster having shot competitive trap for quite a few years. I am not looking to dump a bunch of money into this gun. Mainly looking to have it threaded for choke tubes and the forcing cone lengthened, possibly back bored. The rest I can do myself. I already have a turkey gun that has had barrel work done, but have been wanting to set this one up for a while. I turkey hunted with a guy in Georgia that is also a smith (he did the work on my 870), but I have been reading some bad reviews on him lately, due to him not getting work done etc.. and don't want to take a chance sending him this gun, for fear ZI may never see it again. It is too bad, since he did a nice job and he taught me a lot about killing turkeys while I was down there. He actually still has a pic of the bird I killed on his website.

I will try to contact a few of these mentioned and see what it will cost.

Last edited: