Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Which lake to fish?

I'm going to be in Columbus, during the first week of May, but anticipate the business day to end early and would like to finish up on a good note. I'd like to do some kayak fishing, while I'm in the area. I'm favoring the north and west sides of Columbus, because I'll these areas will be on my way back to Lima.

I've been considering:
* Buck Creek State Park, in Springfield.
* Alum Creek State Park, north of Columbus.
* Hoover Recreation Area, northeast of Columbus.
* Also, there appears to be a series of reservoirs or lakes southwest of Urbana, that might offer some good fishing.

Your suggestions and experiences are appreciated.
Thank you, Bowhunter57

Horsepower restrictions are a good thing...for me, as I don't care for getting waked by "nutso" boaters headed for the other side of the lake and gotta get there NOW!

I usually troll, using crankbaits and with that set up I catch channelcats, walleye, saugeye, smallmouth, pike, crappie and the odd bluegill or largemouth. However, if that's not working I'll go back to casting the tried and true Ultra Light with swimming jigs. If I get really bored, I switch to the baitcaster and a few topwater lures or the standard texas-rigged worm.

If nothing else, I'll get some exercise looking for the fish. :smiley_blink:
Bowhunter57

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
There are some pretty decent lakes, farm ponds, and a reservoir or two I remember outside of Urbana/Springfield. Never did any good at them when I tried fishing the reservoirs but that doesn't mean anything. Seems like it was another 45min or so to Urbana from Columbus/Dublin area if memory is working.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I have much better luck on Delaware than Alum. I live a couple minutes from Alum and maybe tired of it. Lol

Alum is awesome for Saugeye, Walleye and Musky on the south end.