Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Another bite

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
This morning I had to have my dog put down. He was around 8 years old. (Rottie)
Ralphie, (named after the boy in "A Christmas Story) had beat the odds w/ cancer over a year longer than expected. He was my buddy and was there for me through out all 3 of my wifes strokes, waiting for me to come home and let him out and play after my long days at the hospital. He was there for me when I lost my father last August and he was there when I came home to an empty house after loosing my wife.

I kinda knew the decision would have to be made but it's hard. Weighing in an average of 155 lbs in his prime, he was definitely a presence in our house. He guarded my family when I was gone and gave me great enjoyment as a companion when I was home. I'm sure gonna miss him.

Just another big ol bite of life's Shit Sandwich.

Last edited:

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Nuts, hate to hear it finally happened. But you know you did the right thing. It's just a blessing you,had him as long as you did. But it still sucks.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Jim, sorry too hear your dog had to be put down..... but if he was suffering and you know deep down it had too be done.... I've had too do the same for a couple of my best friends as well and its never easy....

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Thanks Guys.
My oldest even had a couple of her Sr. high school pictures taken with him. This is one of my favorite. The guy at the lab thought he was a bear.

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Sorry Big Bro, I know how much he met to you. At least we got to spend a few hours together today hoping it got your mind clear and free just for a few short hours. Heading back Thursday.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
There is an appropriate quote I cannot remember at the moment. Something about one of life's cruelities is how short a dog's life is. Wish I hadn't butchered it. Definitely man's best friend. Wish I was there to salute Ralphie for all the years of service and companionship he offered you Jim. I have done it twice. Cried like a baby both times. Hang in there buddy. You have my number if you want to talk.

CJD3,
You have had some hard losses, brother. May God bless and keep you!

Here are a few dog quotes that you may enjoy:
* Dogs are miracles with paws. ~Attributed to Susan Ariel Rainbow Kennedy

* Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really. ~Agnes Sligh Turnbull

* My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

* Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Bowhunter57