Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

gift ideas for the wives

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My wife and I have been pretty stressed the last few months. We have taken in her nephew and went from having a 7 and 10yr old to having a 7/10/11yr old. Lots of changes. Some things haven't changed. We still have funky work schedules. We still have to make sure our children are attended to. We still are busy people. We do not see each other as much. We now have a third child to tend to and coordinate more activities. It has been a challenge.

The last couple weeks have been extra rough. Honestly not sure why. Maybe her work schedule? Worked 6/7 days at 12hr shifts 7pm to 7am. Then she was off for 8 or 9 days. She is on her fourth day right now of another 6/7 day work week. Our anniversary fell in between these two long work stretches. She scheduled this way because we generally get out of town. This year we couldn't because we had not foreseen the addition of another kid when she made her schedule months ago. This might be part of it as well.

We had a chat last night about things. Might have been more of a fight than a chat, but sometimes you have to stir some dust up to get to the bottom of things. Well, I figured I might do something to show her I DO listen to her and I am attentive to her needs. She has been bugging me to get some chickens. She claims she will take care of them. (Yeah right.) She has also been bugging for some "girly" rubber boots since all three kids and myself have them (mine and the boys' aren't girly. Just for clarification). Claims she will hit the woods with us in them and use them for garden and chicken chores. Soooo. . . tonight I was at Tractor Supply getting softener salt and food for the dogs and picked some up. Took them and the three kids to dinner, and dropped the boots off to her at the hospital. I picked up a card in the hospital lobby that was an "Encouragement" card. Picture of a baby with spaghetti on its head and a caption reading "Sometimes Life can get Messy" and I wrote a message on the inside. My words were "We can get through anything together. We have God. We have each other. Please feel free to use your new boots when the shit I am giving you gets too tall. Love, Phil"

Rolled out and got the kids' homework done and stuffed them in bed. She responded with a text stating she needed that and thanked me.

Just an idea for a little something for your wives. Some women need roses. Some women need expensive jewels. Some women like chocolates. Seems to me though, many women just want to be thought about now and then and made to feel like they are loved. A pair of pinkish purple chore boots with a card can go a long way. Who woulda thunk? lol

Hopefully someone reads this, remembers it, and wins some brownie points with their wife. Doesn't have to be rubber boots, but something is better than nothing. Might even get you some tail. ahah

Last edited:
I have to agree with you, Phil. We all need to pay a little closer attention to things...details, as it does show that we're listening and do care. The littlest gifts, things said, etc. mean a lot...cause it's heart felt. Women sense these things, more than we guys realize.

Good luck with your future endevours. You're on the right track, even though it has its' share of bumps, you'll get there...both of you...all of your family. :smiley_blink:

Bowhunter57

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks Daniel. It isn't like it is rocket science. Women are like deer. Sometimes the entry and approach has to be well thought out, meticulous, and executed perfectly. Other times it is the dumbest little thing that they fall for. Come bumbling into the stand, make all kinds of noise, and bump them out, only to find them filtering back in 20min later.

My wife is one of those that needs to hear it. She is really pretty low maintenance, but she really needs to hear that she is appreciated more than I honestly remember to do so. Don't get me wrong, I give her please and thank you, and tell her I love her plenty. I don't always comment on things like "Wow! Thanks for taking care of those dishes" or "Glad you got that laundry done" or "thanks for taking the kids to the park so I could go shed hunting" or "you look nice" or "I noticed you cleaned out your car. It looks nice." Oh wait, she NEVER cleans out her freaking car. Scratch that one. haha

It isn't being a "ladies man" Moundhill. It is simply learning what makes your wife tick. Only took me the first 10-12years of marriage to figure it out. I am a slow learner. I think there are more women that would appreciate some of these little comments more than they would jewelry once a year on their birthday or anniversary. Couple comments a week probably goes further if I had to venture a guess.

FWIW Moundhill- back in the day I couldn't get laid in a monkey whore house with a string of bananas tied around my neck. The ladies man you should be listening to is Jackalope. Trust me on this one. Just trust me.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Well Done Phil.
You two will probably go the distance... Ya just have to put a little thought into it.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Have you been schooled in "SMOOVE"? rotflmao

In all seriousness I totally agree with you Phil. More often than not a woman just wants to know that she is heard and thought about. Some of the cheapest gifts that I have gotten my wife are the ones she remembers the most because I put some thought into it and she knew I was just thinking of her.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Whaaacheee whaacheee (whipped)

I don't think so. She just sent me a text stating "Maybe we could use these boots as a family this weekend."
Told her I was busy Saturday at the Expo. hahah
She said, "Well maybe Sunday, but I have to work Sunday night."

Is it just me, or does it sound like she wants to go shed hunting? Dang. Might have to buy her a gun next time. Maybe she realizes I am trying and if she wants to spend more time with me or see me more often she might have to join me and the kids? hmmm. . . .

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Good Thinking Phil. Funny you would say this as it hit home pretty hard. On my way home from work, was talking with Diane on the phone. When a call came in I usually tell her I'll call you right back (not knowing how long it could be). For some reason, I had her hold and told the caller I'd call them right back..... When I got home, there was a Thank You in my email. It explained how it made her feel more important than the caller. It goes to show the little things really do matter. I was actually trying to not be rude (by having her hold for an undetermined amount of time). I need to keep in better check who my real friend is..........

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I'm gonna take the advice that was passed on to me recently from the great Swantucky. I'm gonna quit being lazy and find my wife a second job. I think she could use it. She's currently an RN and I'm pretty sure she could use some more responsibility:smiley_coolpeace:

In all seriousness, I'm more guilty of not dishing out the simple little things that I know my wife would enjoy. I've tried to get the wife involved a little in stuff I do. She used to enjoy fishing with me, and talks about it every winter, but then backs out come summer. Might be different ow that I'll be taking my boy out this summer. The one thing she likes to do is go mushroom and Ramp hunting with me. Even her mom enjoys going. You've motivated me Phil. I think I may get her and encouragement or appreciation card that I will hide in the dirty laundry so she finds it while I'm Warreye fishing this weekend. Thanks buddy

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
xbowguy- Great point. I field a TON of calls every day. I am horrible guilty about telling her "Gotta go, I have another call coming in." Terrible. If we are chatting in person, I try to screen the caller ID and make a determination. Texting helps a bit if you have one of the guys calling. Shoot them a quick "Give me 5min." They see it as rude to take a call. I see it as paying the bills. Sometimes taking another 3-5min with them is all they want.

Ryan- Glad to be a help. Hopefully it buys you some more time afield. I am looking forward to seeing you posting some pictures of the little guy out fishing with you this year! Make sure Momma is in the picture holding him with a tank top or bikini on will you? lmao Hahahah. Sometimes I crack myself up with my ideas. 3hrs of sleep didn't cut it last night. Sorry Ryan.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
xbowguy- Great point. I field a TON of calls every day. I am horrible guilty about telling her "Gotta go, I have another call coming in." Terrible. If we are chatting in person, I try to screen the caller ID and make a determination. Texting helps a bit if you have one of the guys calling. Shoot them a quick "Give me 5min." They see it as rude to take a call. I see it as paying the bills. Sometimes taking another 3-5min with them is all they want.

Ryan- Glad to be a help. Hopefully it buys you some more time afield. I am looking forward to seeing you posting some pictures of the little guy out fishing with you this year! Make sure Momma is in the picture holding him with a tank top or bikini on will you? lmao Hahahah. Sometimes I crack myself up with my ideas. 3hrs of sleep didn't cut it last night. Sorry Ryan.

If she wore the bikini out there fishin would be last on my mind:smiley_bril:

Buckmaster

Portage
Nice Job there Dr. Phil.

My wife works full time and gets home around 5pm.

I'm in like Flynn when I get home, get the morning dishes done, pack lunches for the next day, and attend to the laundry. That way she can focus on dinner preparations (she likes to cook, see my waist size). If I do all that Life is like a box of chocolates for my wife. She's a happy camper, no chocolate, flowers, or boots required. It's all about basic simple things in our household.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Took geoffrey to his counseling session tonight. Counselor chatted with us all three and then talked to my wife and I. She was wanting to know how our kids were adjusting. Talk progressed and we discussed some of the new stresses. Counselor (female) said "Well, you need some 'you' time to recharge individually, and you need some 'we' time to recharge as a couple too. Don't let yourselves get so focused on the kids you forget about yourselves." I look at the counselor and then looked at my wife and said "I don't know what you heard, but I just heard Brown chicken Brown Cow!" They were both rolling!

What is my point in all this? I don't know. I guess sometimes when life is stressful, you just have to be able to make your wife smile when she needs to smile. That is my lesson for the day. No charge fellas. I can't charge for advice I am making up as I go. It is nice to make my wife laugh though. I have always tried to do this as often as possible.