Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Learn to be patient!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I think of the dumbest things when I am sitting in a treestand. I often think I have a lot in common with Redtail hawks. No, I am not fast and I don't see all that well, but I do sit high in a tree for hours on end watching fields, and often times I the only thing I see is a red tail sitting across the field doing the very same thing. On days that it is really cold and nasty, I feel sorry for them as I can climb down and go get a sandwich...he has to sit there until his meal shows up!

My kids found a couple of kittens lurking around our woods a few months back. I hate cats, really do, and don't know why. I reluctantly let them keep both of them, or should I say I let them feed the little fur balls and they have stuck around. Anyway, these things have provided more entertainment than I would have ever imagined, and a little insight on occassion.

I ran home from the shop for an hour or so tonight to see the kids and eat dinner with the family. When I pulled in the drive I noticed one of the kittens "hunting". The dang thing didn't turn its head or even flick an ear as I drove within feet of it...it was intent. After visiting with the kids for an hour or so I got a call and needed to get back to the shop. I snapped this pic of the kitten still hunting...she had been there for an hour that I know of, without budging, in the rain and cold....just waiting. There is a hole beside the garage that chipmunks have been using, she knows it, and she is going to get one regardless of the wait!

To me, it just proves it is programmed into most living things to enjoy the hunt. Unlike the red tail hawk, this cat doesn't have to wait for hours on end for a chipmunk dinner - she's well-fed. She's a lot like us, a full belly with a warm and dry place to rest, yet there she is, waiting....

Attachments

• IMG00291-20120308-1734.jpg
    IMG00291-20120308-1734.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 136

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Well said Brock.
Love em or hate em, theres something to be learned there TOO.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nothing against cats. Nothing for them. Good read. On that note, I wonder if the neighbors stinking, inbred, public nuisances are out on my front porch again tonight? Might be time to let Brutus out.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The quail we had (and it was a good amount) have been run out of their home. Our neighbor across the road was one of the worst farmers of all time. There was more foxtail in his bean fields than beans. It was a wildlife haven, and the quail loved it! I had a DOW man tell me about the awesome quail hunting he had over here with the Clinton Co. WO (who was one of our neighbors once upon a time). After he described the place, I knew where he was speaking of...the WO then joined the conversation and confirmed it. I told 'em to quit shooting the quail as my kids enjoy talking to them. (They claimed they couldn't hit them anyway) Since then, the farmer has leased the ground to another farmer that is much better at his job and has cleaned up the fields...quail are gone. :(

LonewolfNopack

The woods
Be patient, good post. I guess that is the way to start looking at things. Patient as a hawk. Remember it only takes one deer to turn a season around, the right deer, but still only one. That is the way I have got to start looking at this deer hunting thing If I plan to keep at it.

Lundy

Brock,

I guess this just shows that you and a pussy have a lot in common.:biggrin:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Brock,

I guess this just shows that you and a pussy have a lot in common.:biggrin:

:smiley_clap:

Great post Brock..... I pretty much tolerate them but that's about the extent of it..... Some are cool most are a pain in the back side..... But like what was said you can learn from all things in life.....

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Great post Brock. I've sent my fair share of cats to the grave, but there is something to be learned from them as you pointed out. Hope hunt went better than most of mine!

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
For years i was dismissed and called alot of choice names about patience and its effect on success but a cat staring at aluminum siding gets the point accross??

wtf? :smiley_armscrossed:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
For years i was dismissed and called alot of choice names about patience and its effect on success but a cat staring at aluminum siding gets the point accross??

the cat sat there quietly leading by example. You try to force feed it down everyone's throats as "the ONLY" way to hunt. I guess it was in the delivery.

epe

Lancaster

Come on man, you should know guys like pussy better than a dick...
Lmao.. j/k.. :D