Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Polymer frames

FredT

SE Ohio
A buddy and I were discussing polymer framed pistols.

Anybody ever have one blow up?

What caliber?

What was damaged?

Last edited:

Buckmaster

Portage
Interesting topic. From what I've seen they are pretty durable on physical and mechanical testing procedures. Blowing one up on the otherhand....I don't know.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Once....Glock 40. Watched it happen at the range. It was a reload believed to have a double charge. Mag blew out, slide and controls all blew out, no major injuries.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Don't think I know anyone that has blown one up. Know a few guys that have blown up revolvers and 1911 usually double charges.

Fred you know way more then I but don't most pistols that aren't blowback actions lock the barrel to the slide similar to a 1911? If so if both the barrel and slide are metal isn't the frame material somewhat irrelevant?

FredT

SE Ohio
Here are some pics of an FNP-45 that let loose. First pic is the case showing no bulge. Next shows primer not flattened. Next shows the case failure.

Two pics of the results.

Load was 5.8 grains of Unique, 228 grain cast bullet, Remington large pistol primer, Winchester case.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I bet that stung! I agree, it fired out of battery.

So now the question is: would a steel or alloy frame have provided the shooter with more protect? Probably.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
primer dimple seems wierd to me...seems like i remember another smaller ring generally shows around the primer hit ..that failure is pretty bad and definetly out of battery. how many times has the shell been reloaded fred? also i would be curious to throw a caliper on the shell and check if it was out of round any. Were you for sure in factory case length spec?