Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Food plot cover

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
had one of our fine members recommend it to me this year. I was considering using it as well.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Based on what I just read briefly, it seems like Egyptian Wheat would be a pretty good choice for cover buffer around plots. It grows 6-7'+, fairly thick, and the deer don't mess with it much while it's growing. Plus the seeds and cover will benefit the local bird populations.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Based on what I just read briefly, it seems like Egyptian Wheat would be a pretty good choice for cover buffer around plots. It grows 6-7'+, fairly thick, and the deer don't mess with it much while it's growing. Plus the seeds and cover will benefit the local bird populations.

Pretty much what I read as well. Other positive I read on it was the fact it is an annual. You don't have to worry about it becoming invasive and taking over. We are either going to use this or simply plant corn in a few strategic strips as a buffer. We will be there planting corn anyhow. We might as well just selectively add a strip or two here and there as cover. (When I say strip, I guess i mean a row or two for the combine to pick, not just 2-4 rows of corn.)

rossbows

My plan is to plate a small field with egyptian wheat and the other by the tree stand plant clover. Then before season mow a path to the stand.

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
I've never tried egyptian wheat as a screen or cover plot, but see no reason why it wouldn't work. Last year after our corn screen died due to too much water, we planted a late July crop of a tall millet variety:

http://www.welterseed.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=131 http://www.welterseed.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=133

Even in a short growing season it grew 4-5 feet tall and the deer could not see over it. It almost worked too well as they were out in our plots at all times of the day, even when we first got there. We would have to bump them out softly and hope they would come back. Whatever screen or cover you plant, it has been great for us.