Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Alabama Rig

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Man, thats deifinitly a heck of a concept. I'd say if you could avoid snags it could be a good set up. Thanks for sharing Cotty.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Never hear of it but it does look pretty cool.

I have fished Lake Guntersville and have a pair of sunglasses sitting on the bottom of that lake with a buddy of mine that fishes tournements there. He is the brother to the guy I was going to set SIO with for the Alabama deer hunt. They are not joking about being a hard lake to fish. They also do night tournements for bass fishing as well. Between the big spotlights to run and gun down the lake they use the blacklights to see the fishingline in the water. Also not an easy thing to do lol.

epe

Lancaster
There is a law in Ohio, I think you are only allowed to use two or three arms on a Alabama rig here..

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I saw the show where they were using the Alabama Rig a while back too. I have never used it, but I gotta believe it would work great. I would love to throw that thing in on big school of feeding white bass or strippers, or even largemouth. I would bet a dollar you hit a feeding school of whites with it, you'd hook up on every rig. Man, that would be a blast. I don't think snags would be much of an issue as I'd figure you'd want to throw that thing in mostly open water over suspended fish. I bet it would wear you out to pitch it for a couple of hours though...but it would be worth it!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
There is a law in Ohio, I think you are only allowed to use two or three arms on a Alabama rig here..

I think you're only allowed a certain number of hooks per line... in which case, you wouldn't have to put a hooked lure on every arm of the Alabama rig. I would put several hookless lures in tight and run two longer hooked ones off the back to resemble a couple straggling baitfish.

The Alabama Rig is the new rave this year on the tourney scene. I've never fished one, but it looks like it could be really effective.

Hey Mike
Laposta uses those religiously in all the tournaments he fishes on Lake of the Ozarks, Table Rock and any of those other deep lakes where the fish are suspended in like 80 feet of water. He is actually sponsored by a company that makes them and has an endless supply. He said he is getting ready to ship me a whole box of stuff from his sponsors and is gonna send me about 4 of those rigs. Ohio law only you to use 3 artificial baits tied to one line so I will have to modify it a bit. He said the key to using them is having a good 3D side-imaging fish finder that is detailed in showing structures or you will keep getting it snagged and will have a hell of a time getting it back. He has a special pole rigged with 30 lb test fluorocarbon just due to the weight of it and the possibility of hooking 8lb plus bass. I told him if I make it to erie this summer I'm gonna try them up there for smallmouth and walleye.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hey Mike
Laposta uses those religiously in all the tournaments he fishes on Lake of the Ozarks, Table Rock and any of those other deep lakes where the fish are suspended in like 80 feet of water. He is actually sponsored by a company that makes them and has an endless supply. He said he is getting ready to ship me a whole box of stuff from his sponsors and is gonna send me about 4 of those rigs. Ohio law only you to use 3 artificial baits tied to one line so I will have to modify it a bit. He said the key to using them is having a good 3D side-imaging fish finder that is detailed in showing structures or you will keep getting it snagged and will have a hell of a time getting it back. He has a special pole rigged with 30 lb test fluorocarbon just due to the weight of it and the possibility of hooking 8lb plus bass. I told him if I make it to erie this summer I'm gonna try them up there for smallmouth and walleye.

I think it will be dynamite on those Lake Erie smallmouths! :)

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I think it will be dynamite on those Lake Erie smallmouths! :)

My thoughts exactly... talk to folks who use them and you either love them or hate them.... I have a hard time spending that kind of money too throw out into the water and hope too get it back hahaha

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My thoughts exactly... talk to folks who use them and you either love them or hate them.... I have a hard time spending that kind of money too throw out into the water and hope too get it back hahaha

Lol... I hear that, brotha. I've found, though, that when it comes to lures you usually get what you pay for (like so many other things). Weedless frogs, for example... Sure, you can pick up a cheap one for 2-4 bucks, but they aren't worth a damn... Spend 10-12 bucks on a Spro Bronzeye or a BullyWah and you'll hook damn near every fish that bites it.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Just make the 3 stand out so they will consistantly hit them versus the non hooked ones.... Maybe make them trail further behind is my thinking.....