Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Lucky day...Probably never happen again!

Kaiser878

ohio
A month or so ago a friend got a photo of a rare coyote at one of his properties..This property is aobut a mile or so away from where I shot my buck! I thought it was pretty cool to see a coyote that looked like this!

Well as luck would have it she found herself in my trap. I would have liked to have gotten photos of her live in the trap but we were a little to nervous about her getting undone as I am only using 1.5 Montgomeries and she was bouncing around like a ping pong ball when she saw the vehicle pulling up. So she took one to the face....

Milo

Tatonka guide.
that is friggin sweet Zach! hope you skin and tan her...i have never seen one THAT black...is that a white chevron on her chest?

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Sweet looking coyote Zach! Do you have any plans for her?

I have seen one black one but couldnt do anything as it was in the neighborhoods by me.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Kaiser878

ohio
I dont know a whole lot about color phases of coyotes. but what research I have done shows that the majority of melanistic coyotes of the black phase tend to have a white patch on their chest.. So who knows...It was about 30 lbs also...I figure it was probaby full grown...Wish I woulda gotten it aobut 1 month ago before it started shedding.. It is skinned and I took it to my local fur buyer and he is sending it out with my other one I trapped to get tanned!

Kaiser878

ohio
I was just excited to finally catch one in one of my sets. I had one earlier in the week, but since I am only using 1.5s they almost gotta step in them perfect. It must have had it by the toe or something because it got out....

Mike R

*Supporting Member*
Nice looking coyote. If you guys happen to get anymore that you would like to sell get ahold of me I will tell you how to skin them for taxidermy. You can take them over to taxi-net and get a premium for the odd colored ones. Anything real red, dark ,light, or odd. you will just have to deal with the hassle of shipping them.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That's an awesome yote, Zach! Congrats buddy! I saw one laying dead along 71 near the Cardinal Center just a month or so ago that looked just like that one.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
So you are not only lucky with killing nice bucks, now you are lucky trapping too!

JK/ nice yote man.....I've never seen one of those around here.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That is a cool looking yote. We had a black one running around up here years ago. There was a guy that was as serious about shooting yotes as we were about deer. He hunted that dog with a passion, like it was the holy grail. I don't know if he ever did kill it. Congratulations, you got a rare one!