Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Camo'd my mossberg

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
Wanted to camoflauge my mossberg 500a for a long time...So I thought hydrographing would be a fun little project...a little messy but still fun.

It's actually a much simpler process than most would think...just need a little patience and understanding of a few principles.

I will admit that once I started, I got a little nervous about spray painting my shotgun, especially my all purpose shotgun, and dipping it in camo film and water...but I think it turned out pretty good.

DSC01506.jpg

DSC01510.jpg

DSC01511.jpg

I thought the camo pattern turned out pretty good with a tan base coat...I would like to use a white base coat next time though.

Thanks for viewing.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
I will get some more pictures of it later but this is the 500a with the slugger barrel and field barrel...I was most skeptical about dipping the barrels but those were actually the easiest to do

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Looks great! Might change my mind, save a few dollars, and just dip one myself instead of buying one this way for my close range piece for coyote hunting.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
The gun is a mossberg 500a, blued barrels and wood stock and fore-end...the kit cost $100 total from ebay. Plus about $10 for a properly sized dipping tub.

lets see...

remove all dirt and oil...prime parts...apply basecoat...set up tub with water for dipping...cut film...dip parts...rinse...let dry...apply clearcoat.

Once you apply the primer, the parts must be dipped within 24 hours...I primed and sprayed basecoat in the evening so that I could dip in the morning.

so it really only takes a few days all together...I think the clear coat takes about 14 days to cure properly.

The kit comes with detailed instructions and a link to a more detailed online video too.

I actually did this last fall and the process with drying times allowed me to spray some parts and work on other things too.

Last edited:

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
I does look good. I guess I didn't realize there were kits to DIY dipping, I'd be interested in hearing more details.

I will be dipping another gun hopefully before turkey season starts...I will try to put something together in the DIY forum for everyone to see here.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
What type of clearcoat did you use? I tried to clear a gun a few years ago, and for some reason it reacted to the oil on my skin... Where my face touched the stock, the clearcoat got sticky. Maybe I just didn't let it cure long enough, though.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
What type of clearcoat did you use? I tried to clear a gun a few years ago, and for some reason it reacted to the oil on my skin... Where my face touched the stock, the clearcoat got sticky. Maybe I just didn't let it cure long enough, though.

It was a clear matte finish, spray can that came with the kit....the instructions mentioned several times to make sure that what is being dipped is free from dirt and oil especially...not sure what would be safe for removing oil from a gun before clear coating, but I'm sure somebody has a product that they like.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
It was a clear matte finish, spray can that came with the kit....the instructions mentioned several times to make sure that what is being dipped is free from dirt and oil especially...not sure what would be safe for removing oil from a gun before clear coating, but I'm sure somebody has a product that they like.

MAF or TB cleaner..

catsmeow

VT
Wanted to camoflauge my mossberg 500a for a long time...So I thought hydrographing would be a fun little project...a little messy but still fun.

It's actually a much simpler process than most would think...just need a little patience and understanding of a few principles.

I will admit that once I started, I got a little nervous about spray painting my shotgun, especially my all purpose shotgun, and dipping it in camo film and water...but I think it turned out pretty good.

View attachment 6124

View attachment 6125

View attachment 6126

I thought the camo pattern turned out pretty good with a tan base coat...I would like to use a white base coat next time though.

Thanks for viewing.

I never knew of this procedure yet I found this great video on you tube and it great the way this guy explains the process

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB9YtesgL2Y