Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Treestand for hunting turkeys?

I've never hunted turkey from a treestand. I've always used a "run & gun" method and a few times with a groundblind & decoys.

I know that turkeys are oblivious to a groundblind, therefore it makes for a good hunting method. You can walk in set one up and start hunting, without any suspicion from the turkeys.

However, I've heard that turkeys can be very wary, when it comes to hunting them from a treestand. Even so, I had them all around me last fall, when I was deer hunting.

Anyone use a treestand to hunt turkeys?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

epe

Lancaster
They will look up, trust me. We had a stand near a fall roosting tree. They would come up around a big tree and look up to see if we were in the tree. If we were, they were gone...

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Didn't think you were allowed to use a treestand to hunt turkeys???

After reading through the regulations I can't see where it is illegal......but hunting turkeys from a treestand just don't seem right to me, plus they would skyline you really easy and pick off any little movement you would make. Not saying it couldn't be done, but it would take away from the true experience of being at their level IMO.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I shot one from a tree this fall..but I had a bunch of 'em around me numerous times before I ever got a shot. I'd stick to groundblinds if you want to shoot one with your bow. When in a blind, turkeys seem to be the dumbest animal in the woods to me. I have had them brush up against my blind while strutting. Getting an arrow in one is so much easier from a blind!

I've seen turkeys check me out, while I was in a treestand and for that reason, I believe I'll stay on the ground. Plus, there's a varable with turkeys that sometimes you have to do some "run & gun" techniques to stay ahead of them and get a shot. Also, not always...but there are times when, right after the shot it's best to run the turkey down and not give it a chance to recover enough to run off.

Bowhunter57

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I learned something interesting about small game jesse...I learned you need to lsiten to them, when a squirjal starts barking, start looking around. It probably isn't a new tactic, but its new and useful info to me.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I learned something interesting about small game jesse...I learned you need to lsiten to them, when a squirjal starts barking, start looking around. It probably isn't a new tactic, but its new and useful info to me.

Yep. Word on the street is when a squirrel barks, there is a deer coming! :smiley_crocodile:

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Fluteman the Squirjal Whisperer will tell you all about it! :smiley_clap:

Come on man! I was just sharing an observation from over the years.

Don't you have better things to do than pick on me, like say, oh I dunno, repaint your basement floor...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Come on man! I was just sharing an observation from over the years.

Don't you have better things to do than pick on me, like say, oh I dunno, repaint your basement floor...

I believe in it too. It's not 100% because squirrels bark at each other sometimes. But it's a good habit to get into listening for.