Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Another one coming down.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Three barns in my neighborhood are being torn down this winter, 2 on my road. 1 is already gone, they just started on this one yesterday.

I know times change and these barns have out lived their usefulness. Still they were monuments to the people that came before us and we lose a little connection to the past with each one.

I'll post more pixs as the work progresses.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hate to see these come down as well. There is a lot of history in those structures. Lots of hard work, sweat, and dedication went into them. That farm looks like a pretty decent sized operation.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
About 35 years ago the feedmill in town was destroyed by a train derailment. So the owner of this farm started milling some feed and the business grew, over taking the farm. They still farm ~3-400 acres but the elevator and mill are the real business there.

Huckleberry Finn

Are those some huge dryers, or am I seeing something else? I'd love to see a picture of that grain setup...

Sad on the barns. I hope they are re-salvaging the wood. Nothing like an old barn, but it gets turned into some nice furniture!

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Steve, The top of the bin you see is a 300,000 bushel bin. What you think are dryers are overhead bins. The red one is above the mill, the ingredients go into that bin and drop into the mill. The silver one is a load out bin for bulk feed or grain.

Huckleberry Finn

Steve, The top of the bin you see is a 300,000 bushel bin. What you think are dryers are overhead bins. The red one is above the mill, the ingredients go into that bin and drop into the mill. The silver one is a load out bin for bulk feed or grain.

Gotcha. I haven't seen overhead bins like that too much. The squat one is 72" or 90"?

There's one about 2 miles from my house that's almost completely torn down. It had served several generations as part of a dairy farm and a very old homestead. You wouldn't know it to see it today, as there's a main road that has cut the farm in two. The original house foundation is on the other side of the road.

The current owners are salvaging the boards and as many timbers as possible. After they're done, it will be a grassy knoll. :smiley_depressive:

Bowhunter57

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I know a guy (relation actually) that goes around when people decide on tearing those barns down and salvages woods, windows, door handles, etc., anything he can. He has built two small barns on his own, majority of them using stuff he has pulled from barns like that.

Sucks to see buildings like that being taken down, makes you wonder how many hours of work have been put in under the roof of one of those.