Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Phil MaGroin Hicks

Buckmaster

Portage
I had some major wood this weekend.

Big Wood.jpg

A big red oak.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Is that an MS370? I have the MS360 and it is a beast! I think my house feels warmer already just thinking about your wood Ben. lmao

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The MS series is the way to go. Basically their "pro" series. Balanced much better, smooth, and plenty of power. My buddy has a couple bigger than the MS360 I have. MS440 and MS660 if I remember correct. The big boy cut down a 50" diameter ash tree a couple weekends ago. He notched it, started cutting through and had to cut from both sides despite having a 48" bar on there! Bohemoth of a chainsaw! That thing wreaks of testosterone!

Hope you got a laugh out of my post on a Monday morning Ben! I think I am going to change my morning plans from putting a second coat of paint on the bedroom project to firing up a chainsaw. I am sure I have something I can cut up that has been waiting on me. Ground is still semi-firm.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I have been cutting down ash trees at my house all winter long. I had 10 of them around the perimeter of my circle drive, after this weekend there is only 1 left. I have the Stihl MS 290 farm boss.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
So how is your buddies back, Strong or sore? Those big saws can certainly shorten up a work day no matter how you look at it.

He said he could feel it in his shoulders a week plus later. Once it was dropped, it shouldn't have been "as" bad. You can let the saws weight do some of the work. I know he is glad it is cut up and he is done with it. Only thing left for him is the splitting. He sits in his skid loader to split the wood, so that is not as physical as an axe and maul or even a gas powered splitter.

I have been cutting down ash trees at my house all winter long. I had 10 of them around the perimeter of my circle drive, after this weekend there is only 1 left. I have the Stihl MS 290 farm boss.

Those are nice too Gern. That is the first chainsaw I ever bought. It has been around 15 years ago I bought it. Called them the 029 Farm Boss at the time. Still have it. Still runs. Original engine, piston/rings. Been through a couple bars, numerous chains, and several air filters, but it is still kicking. It is getting tired, but I can still rely on it. The fact it is getting tired is why I bought the MS360. It has a little more uumph than the 029. It weighs very close or just a tad heavier, but is better balanced and doesn't feel like it. I don't feel as tired after using the MS360 as I do when I finish with the 029. They are nice saws.

Buckmaster

Portage
The 029 are nice saws. I wanted a 036 but ended up going with the 031 for a little lighter saw.

If I had to buy a saw again I'd buy two, a 044 for take downs and a 028 for cut ups.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The 029 are nice saws. I wanted a 036 but ended up going with the 031 for a little lighter saw.

If I had to buy a saw again I'd buy two, a 044 for take downs and a 028 for cut ups.

Nice choices. Most of my cutting up is done on TOO! :smiley_crocodile:

Actually it is done with a Husqvarna. I am thinking model 55. Then again I have been calling my Stihl an MS360 and now I am scratching my head and thinking it is actually called a 361. I dunno. Nice saws though. The 044 is more than most will ever need, but when you need it it sure would be nice to have.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Dad has an 029 and it has been a great saw. My uncle has a MS310 just like yours Ben and that thing likes to wear me out! Since I have access to a 310 and 029, I bought a "deer hunters" saw in the MS170. I can hold this saw up above my head and cut limbs with one hand, not safe or smart, but very handy! I use it to clear trails and all my small stuff. Been a great saw as all Stihl products are apt to be!

Buckmaster

Portage
I bought a "deer hunters" saw in the MS170. I can hold this saw up above my head and cut limbs with one hand, not safe or smart, but very handy! I use it to clear trails and all my small stuff. Been a great saw as all Stihl products are apt to be!

Ah yes, the deer hunter's saw. Yes, I have a 017 at Deer Camp just for that purpose. It makes clearing shooting lanes and trail cleanup a breeze.

I also have a Sthil HT 131 pole pruning saw. That's also a Deer Camp must have.

Last edited:
my 310 is my bigger saw . i drilled out the muffler for more power . run a 20 inch bar on it . my limb saw is a 023 i think ..lol. aint that a shame . cant remember for sure . the guy across the rd select cutting uses a 660 for felling . iwas watching one day his saw got stuck and while jerking the saw out he jerked the handle off it . said thats the only problem he ever had with sthil. this basterd had arms as big round as my leggs i burn approx. 10 cords a year .

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I picked up a nice used MS170 a couple years ago. The thing was bought after an ice storm and used for about 4 hours. Then it sat in the guys garage for 3-4 years. He needed some money so i bought it. It has been nice for cleaning up tops and limbing up stuff on the ground. Nice and light. Those are nice little saws.

The only other chainsaw I have is an Echo arborist model. That one is designed to be used with one hand. Tiny thing. I should probably just unload that one. I don't think I have ever used it. Then again, it was another one of those "I need some money" deals. For $25 if I use the thing on one job it will have paid for itself. Then again, that was several years ago.

I would guess I probably use the MS170 and Husky 55 quite a bit and the MS361 tackles the majority of all big stuff unless there are a couple of us sawing. Crazy to think about how this stuff accumulates over the years. Then again, 15 years of self employment, we heat our home exclusively with fire wood, and I have been fortunate in some of the "no brainer" purchases. Easy to see them add up. I won the Husqvarna in a 3 tickets/$10 raffle. That puts me at 5 chainsaws for around $800-900 accumulated over 15 years. Not too shabby.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I will be up you way soon Phil. I'll let you recoup your ivestment on that arborist! Well, and I will buy lunch!

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
Chainsaws! Chainsaws! My friend yells that at the top of his lungs when he sees a tree that has been knocked over by a storm or that needs to be removed. Some day I'll have to catch it on video as it's hilarious.
I run an 18" Husqvarna 350. I've had it for over 8 years and it still runs great. Light enough to be comfortable while cutting all day, but powerful enough for what I am usually cutting up.

this is for you guys who dont wear safty equipment . wish i could find my pictures of the guys who have been kuttin for 20 to 30 years and cought there one handed saw with there face . there is never an excuse to run a saw with one hand . remember , you get what you ask for . this is from a guy who was to good to wear chaps . 168695_193817560646737_100000554830967_658600_3454357_n.jpg