Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Rust-Oleum Epoxy Shield

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I attempted to put this down in our laundry room today and it catalyzed TOO fast. In less than 30 minutes, I had the equivalent to butter in my tray. It wouldn't adhere to the floor towards the end. I'd roll some out, then come back with the roller and it would peel up. The first 3/4 of the floor looks fine, but the last half left floor showing in places. I'm pretty pissed to say the least.

Being an ex-paint salesmen, I know I'm in deep shit now. Anyone had issues with this product before? Anyone want to take a stab at if I can top coat it with something and salvage the floor?

I'll probably raise a little hell with Home Depot tomorrow and see what they have to say. I'm no stranger to epoxies and I followed the directions to a T. It could be operator error, but I can't help but think I got a bad batch of epoxy...

Schu72

Streetsboro
Not sure if its the same stuff we used on our garage floor this past fall or not, but its all peeled up already. Called the company, not Home Depot and they issued a credit for us.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That sucks, man. I don't really know what you should do... Maybe say fugg it and cover it with lenoleum, or tile. Either way, I'd be calling the company like Schu said...

Buckmaster

Portage
Not sure if its the same stuff we used on our garage floor this past fall or not, but its all peeled up already. Called the company, not Home Depot and they issued a credit for us.

My Dad's epoxy garage floor coating from this fall is pealing as well. I was going to use epoxy on my floor but now I'm thinking otherwise. He followed directions to a tee and even etched the surface before hand.

Schu72

Streetsboro
My Dad's epoxy garage floor coating from this fall is pealing as well. I was going to use epoxy on my floor but now I'm thinking otherwise. He followed directions to a tee and even etched the surface before hand.

Yep...huge pain in the ass. Spent an entire weekend emptying a 3 bay garage, scrubbing any grease off floor, etching with the acid wash, painting/sealing, moving everything back in and then seeing it start to bubble in a matter of days. I was pissed.

Buckmaster

Portage
Yep...huge pain in the ass. Spent an entire weekend emptying a 3 bay garage, scrubbing any grease off floor, etching with the acid wash, painting/sealing, moving everything back in and then seeing it start to bubble in a matter of days. I was pissed.

I would have been pissed too. My Dad just finished building his house in July, waited 90 days, then epoxy coated in Sept. It was peeling in Oct. and continues to do so even after touch ups. Not good.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I have used it quite a few times with no issues. The major issue is usually with basements that are too damp or didn't get clean all the way. Especially with the bubbling/chipping.

You have to follow the charts really close for time/application, one batch at a time.

I prefer other epoxy products because they are not so finicky. I laid Nature Stone on the last barn I built and it was tits.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Jesse I've never messed with the Rust-Oleum brand product, but if it did catalyze too quick there could have been something out of balance with the product. Call the company, have the batch dates from the cans available and describe the problem. The people working at home depot "just sell the stuff" and probably won't be worth a damn.

As far as next steps, are you have any adhesion issues on what you got put down? If so, it mmight just be a matter of getting another kit & applying a second coat.

Tell me about how you mixed it. Sometimes that can affect things. Also, were you working out of the same container the whole time, or were you pouring catalyzed epoxy from a bucket into a rolling pan as you went. With the first 3/4 of the floor going down good, and the last 1/4 having issues it has me wondering.

As far as garage floor. Don't believe the labels guys. Acid etching is not sufficent prep work for a Rust-Oleum type of epoxy to have good result. It's bound to fail. If you're serious about a project like that, have the floor either shot blasted or grinded, then use a professional grade high solids epoxy.

Buckmaster

Portage
I would agree, don't use the cheap stufff. I'm surprised Jesse didn't use Sherwin Williams. I figured he'd have the best knowledge of that product despite paying out the price.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Jesse I've never messed with the Rust-Oleum brand product, but if it did catalyze too quick there could have been something out of balance with the product. Call the company, have the batch dates from the cans available and describe the problem. The people working at home depot "just sell the stuff" and probably won't be worth a damn.

I understand all TOO well how that works. We sold the same kit at SWs and had to deal with the fall out if/when it happened. However, if Home Depot will issue me a kit in store, that saves me time and frustration. I understand they don't have to do that, but it was worth a shot...

As far as next steps, are you have any adhesion issues on what you got put down? If so, it mmight just be a matter of getting another kit & applying a second coat.

I tested it today and it adhered fine...

Tell me about how you mixed it. Sometimes that can affect things. Also, were you working out of the same container the whole time, or were you pouring catalyzed epoxy from a bucket into a rolling pan as you went. With the first 3/4 of the floor going down good, and the last 1/4 having issues it has me wondering.

I mixed it per instructions and followed the "sit" times to a T. The epoxy was setting up in the can as well as the roller pan. It took less than 30 minutes for it to change viscosity in the can...

As far as garage floor. Don't believe the labels guys. Acid etching is not sufficent prep work for a Rust-Oleum type of epoxy to have good result. It's bound to fail. If you're serious about a project like that, have the floor either shot blasted or grinded, then use a professional grade high solids epoxy.

The single most complicated substrate to coat in everyday situations is a floor. We spent an entire day on floors during out Midwestern management training when I was with SWs. Going the full distance on cleaning, etching, and product selection is always the way to go. But even that will not guarantee there will not be failures.

I would agree, don't use the cheap stufff. I'm surprised Jesse didn't use Sherwin Williams. I figured he'd have the best knowledge of that product despite paying out the price.

They sell the same kits as Home Depot. To actually use their SW branded floor epoxy would run me $150 or more...

Buckmaster

Portage
Jesse,
Let us know what the final results/outcome is. It may help us avoid this situation in the future. No one likes going through all that work for a project turning out like crap.

Thank you

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Will do. My knowledge of epoxies is limited as we dealt in them very little at the store level while I was at SWs. My first line of thinking is that I waited TOO long after mixing. Wait time for 60-70 degrees was 30 to trim and 45 to roll. From 71-80, it was 15 and 25. It was 70 degrees down there, so I waited 30 and 45 like it stated. Had I rushed things, I would have finished in plenty of time...

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I did a friends brand new garage floor about five years ago and it is still like new.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I mixed it per instructions and followed the "sit" times to a T. The epoxy was setting up in the can as well as the roller pan. It took less than 30 minutes for it to change viscosity in the can...

The epoxy in the can was what I was wondering about. It can continue to catalyze in the can at a faster rate. If you've got good adhesion then hopefully they give you another kit to finish the job. It's the quickest fix to address a customer complaint. If they don't then raise som hell.

I didn't know you were a former SW guy. Me too. 9 years before I moved over to a different industry.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I hired on at SWs to go through the MTP program. I worked in Wadsworth and Massillon before hiring on at the Akron-Lakemore store. I was an assistant manager in 4 months and spent 7 months doing that before I left for the job I'm at now.

I liked the job, but not the corporate culture and unrealistic expectations. The district manager practically begged me to stay. I had a knack for merchandising and inventory management that rescued our store and he wanted me to become a manger, even offering me a store in exchange for staying. I'd have taken it under different circumstances, but there are no regrets. SWs could suck out your soul if you stayed TOO long and I could see the writing in the wall!

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
SWs could suck out your soul if you stayed TOO long and I could see the writing in the wall!

Yep...

Good company, good people in the stores, but Mgmt just does as directed... No regrets leaving, especially after seeing quality people get thrown under the bus time and time again.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I stopped at HD on my lunch break today and spoke with the guy in charge of the paint section. He was very helpful and put me in touch with Rust-Oleum right there in the store. I was in and out within 15 minutes have not one, but two new kits coming direct from the warehouse in Wisconsin. I was told they normally do not send two, but was told she could tell I knew what I was doing and that is must have been an issue with the product. She indicated there had been a bad batch of hardener, but didn't come out and say that. So in a world of shitty customer service, both Home Depot and Rust-Oleum stepped up to the plate this afternoon.

So this weekend I will be installing cabinets and shelving, then I'll recoat the floor when I get the new kit. They have a 5 year shelf life, so I have a running start on my garage floor when I get around to it this spring/summer!