Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Shed Hunting....aint no joke!

Trueroots

Norton , Ohio
I believe there is a definite art to shed hunting. I have gone numerous times over the past four years and have yet to find a shed. Myself and Thoesus went last week at our property and managed to find four dead doe and a basket 8(skull attached is never a good find). We walked for hours (ravines, creeks, fields, you name it) and still came up empty. I saw a nice buck still holding on our way down there. Are ya'll still seeing the same in your areas? I set up a camera to confirm either way. I am bound and determined to find something.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Thusday night I was able to scope 13 deer in a field just south of my house. I could tell that 4 of them where bucks and it looked liked they where still holding both sides.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Its like anything else. You may go for years without a find then hit a hot streak and find some consistently. Late season finds are the worst to me. All chewed up for the calcium.
Just keep looking down. :smiley_beard:

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
First thing I was told about hunting sheds: "Thicker the Better" "If it looks too thick for a rabbit to go through, then there is probably sheds in there somewhere" When I come home from shed hunting, I am tore-up from the floor-up from the briars....... I have found some good ones TOO. Just stick with it and it will come....... Good Luck!

And Welcome to the site..........You'll find a lot of Great Guys here and plenty of info sharing.

Last edited:

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Welcome to the site TR.....yeah man, there's some guys here who just roll in sheds, and others of us who aren't as good at it....like anything else I guess it just takes alot of hard work

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
There is definitely an art to it at times. Other times, it is dumb luck. Some times you go to a specific area knowing there is a good chance to find them. Other times you are just enjoying the outdoors. If they haven't dropped, you are not going to find them. I am far far far from good at it. Two years ago I found 7 or 8. Last year I don't know what happened, but I only found 3. I have found 3 of last years sheds since then when I was looking for deer for different people. Two of them were a matched set. Best I can tell you is keep walking and good luck! Welcome to the site!

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Think like a deer and you will find them.

Ill let ya in on a little secret i use alot...But dont tell anyoone or let the secret out.

Get on Googleearth..Zoom in on your area that you want to look for sheds...ok..Now..goto the top of the page and click on the little sun icon. This will show you where the sun hits the earth all during the course of the day. Now..to do that you have to manipulate the little slide bar. Start in the morning and watch how the sun hits the ridges. Look where the sun hits the ridges first. The bucks will usually bed where that sun hits first. Now..to find these spots..take the curser and put it on the areas your intrested and get the GPS coordinate..Then put those coordinates into your GPS...The GPS will then get you there.

Shed hunting is a game of knowledge and endurance.

Good Luck

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Don't feel bad, TR. I've been doing it for years as well, and just found my first one a couple weeks ago.

Think like a deer and you will find them.

Ill let ya in on a little secret i use alot...But dont tell anyoone or let the secret out.

Get on Googleearth..Zoom in on your area that you want to look for sheds...ok..Now..goto the top of the page and click on the little sun icon. This will show you where the sun hits the earth all during the course of the day. Now..to do that you have to manipulate the little slide bar. Start in the morning and watch how the sun hits the ridges. Look where the sun hits the ridges first. The bucks will usually bed where that sun hits first. Now..to find these spots..take the curser and put it on the areas your intrested and get the GPS coordinate..Then put those coordinates into your GPS...The GPS will then get you there.

Shed hunting is a game of knowledge and endurance.

Good Luck

Good tip, Mntr.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Not many bucks around here have dropped yet. Looks like the weathers not gonna be too bad for the next week or so, except some rain on wednsday, might have to get out a little more after work.

welcome to the site.

ohio
I've had a good season on sheds and dead heads, the single lefty is from a deer I've been hunting for two years

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1330306685320.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1330306685320.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 229
  • uploadfromtaptalk1330306738162.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1330306738162.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 237
  • uploadfromtaptalk1330306769968.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1330306769968.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 251
  • uploadfromtaptalk1330306794370.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1330306794370.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 278
  • uploadfromtaptalk1330307024756.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1330307024756.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 243
ohio
Thanks guys, I've hit the area looking for the right side 4 times with no luck, its big enough to be seen from the road so if he dropped it in the field I have a feeling its gone, that pic was him last season, only got him on cam twice, the year before got him on cam 10+ and saw him on stand twice, here is a pic of it in my hand... The shed that is LOL, I rough scored it at a lol over 72, id smack him.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1330321528289.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1330321528289.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 218