Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

DOW attends OBA Banquet..

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Or not??????

Ohios prominent Bowhunters Association is holding their banquet today with 165 members attending. Part of which is a Q&A session with members of the DOW... That is if a single DOW representative would have shown up for said Q&A.. Which they did not as evident by the empty table at the head of the room. We had a TOO member attend hoping to hear the conversation..

Tonk was slated to attend but had personal matters come up which is understandable. But I don't understand why not a single representative from the DOW was there to talk with Ohio's Bowhunters association. If its feedback they're begging for, they don't seem to be looking very hard.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Honestly, Mason and I drove like maniacs to get there on time. I had some obligations to take care of at the shop before heading up and it put me behind. Mrex told me that Tonk would not be attending the other day. If I weren't there to tell them otherwise, the poor dumb OBA would still be looking out the window for Tonk. Knowing the OBA, they were notified....

I did spend an hour or so talking with Coon and Wendy...and I bought another bow, so it wasn't a complete waste of time for me. Sure would have been nice to hear that the herd was in great shape, and all was well with wildlife in Ohio.

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
It's palin as the nose on your face! The DOW does not "need" the OBA any more and will not send any more time or people to kiss up to the OBA leadership! (What there is that is!)

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ted, I haven't been to an OBA function since the crossbow debacle. I saw at most 50 people there. Greg K told me there were 165 expected for the dinner. I figure many of those tickets are for family of members. Point being, poorly attended to say the least. You are correct, the DOW does not need the OBA. If I were Tonk and drove to Deer Creek from my home, I would be sorry I wasted my time in coming. Here's my question; Do you think the OBA is salvagable? Would bow hunters bother with the organization if it were no longer ran as a dictatorship? What would need changed to make the OBA appealing to Ohio's archery hunters?

BTW, I know there are several members of the OBA that are top-shelf folks. Having said that, one of them asked if I was there to re-join. I told him all the horses in Hell couldn't drag me back in as it is. Were you privy to or on the Advisory Board when the decision was made to disallow the vote on the crossbow ammendment? Where are all the fools that came out of the woodwork to voice their displeasure with that concept....ie, I didn't see the world-famous Gary Czatt in attendance today.

Just some questions I have as I feel we could really use a viable bowhunting organization in Ohio.

Last edited:
I see the collapse of the OBA empire, in the near future...and it's by their own hands. They seem to work hard at staying in the "dark ages" of archery and/or bowhunting. Not approving of and/or promoting all forms of archery is not good for the future of bowhunting, bowhunters and archery in general.

The addition of compounds put more people into archery and more hunters into bowhunting. Simularly, so did the addition of crossbows. Crossbows have been around since mid-evil times, so it can not be argued that they're not traditional. There are many bowhunters that are greatful for the allowance of crossbows, due to injuries and/or age issues.

All of the male ego or arrogance of shooting a traditional bow and calling compound shooters, trainning wheel bows, does nothing for the sport.

Everyone should shoot what they're the most accurate with for hunting. If for no other reason, out of respect for the game animals we hunt. I dearly love shooting traditional bows, but have gave it up, due to the accuracy differences between a recurve and a compound. If I could attain better and more consistant accuracy with a recurve, I'd hunt with it, but it's not for me.

Bowhunter57

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Well said, and for the most part I agree. I just came in from shooting the "new" recurve I picked up today. I shoot great with it one day, and crappy the next. I've shot 'em since I was a kid and it has been the same all my life. I don't know why, but it is the way it is. I still work at it, hoping one day I will shoot recurves and longbows consistently everyday. For the critters we chase, compounds and crossbows are the greatest thing ever. I have to believe more are killed cleanly with equipment that relies less on the shooter. Having said that, I'd guess the critters would rather take their chances with a guy carrying a recurve...If that guy is me, he is likely not even going to wound them!:)

The OBA has been it's own worst enemy. More specifically, a few members of the OBA have dragged it down. It could be a great organization, with great lobbying potential, but those few bad apples will never allow that on their tenure.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I really never heard much about OBA until I joined these ohio hunting forums. I googled a couple of the clubs that are local and only saw one name I knew, and that guy I don't have much use for. So really I don't see why the ODNR should care about the OBA.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
You are in the wrong part of the state, Sam. The OBA's core was around Central Ohio. They have tried to reach out a little in the last decade or so, but they have never done a very good job of gaining membership or participation throughout the state. Sad, really. The OBA has always been proud of being the only bowhunting org representing the bowhunters of Ohio, but really, IMO they only represented a narrow point of view. In fact, as people went from shooting compounds or trad bows to crossbows, they just left the OBA as the stigma assigned was just too much. Over time, many members view on the issue changed but the official OBA stance never did. This is only one issue of course, but the same folks who refused to take a step back for a broader view pretty much carried that method over to everything. If it was a goal to alienate everyone in one way or another, they win.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
You are in the wrong part of the state, Sam. The OBA's core was around Central Ohio.

That was kind of my point, why should OBA get special treatment from the big shots at the ODNR? I have never seen any one with a statewide position with ODNR at any meeting of any kind of sportsmens organization in this part of state.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I would guess the travel time to be the limiting factor there. If my office were in central Ohio, and I knew there were people in the northeast district capable of handling meetings and so forth, I wouldn't make the trip either. Regarding the OBA, it's strong point was in Central Ohio, and never really grew too much from it's roots...I did go to the club in Lisbon for an OBA shoot once. Nice club. I think that was the farthest I traveled for an OBA function. Holmes County was a pretty long trip too.

Lundy

You need to go back 25-35 years ago and the OBA was THE organization that had the ears of the ODNR. They were without any equal when it came to access to the ODNR.

It all began to unravel with the crossbow introduction. When first legalized for use in Ohio is was only permitted in the 3 day primitive weapons seasons. The permitted use continued to expand and it created a huge rift in the bowhunting community that still exists in many to this day. The battle cry from many bowhunters and certainly the OBA officer groups was that crossbows should not be in the BOW season. The OBA leadership was very unwilling to change, modify, even soften that position.

The OBA missed a great opportunity to not only continue in a position of prominence and influence but to grow and strengthen it organization by many fold just by welcoming the crossbow hunters with open arms. The OBA had a unique opportunity to help mentor and train the huge influx of crossbow hunters in Ohio into the ways and traditions of bowhunting but elected to stand steadfast in complete opposition. I had a pretty good relationship with a few of the officers, way back then, I was the president of the largest 100% OBA affiliated club in the state, and tried for many years to present a case for change and acceptance to prevent exactly what has become of once a very good organization. There was just no willingness to accept change on the part of the OBA leadership and a very large contingent of its membership. OSTA was born, or at least become more prevalent, during this same time period, they were active in the OBA and were extremely vocal in opposition to crossbows.

The OBA today is not what they once were, and I doubt that they can ever regain the level of prominence and influence that they once held so many years ago.

You have to respect someone for sticking to their convictions, and they certainly did and have. However if you go down with the ship what have you really accomplished?

Last edited:

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I would guess the travel time to be the limiting factor there. If my office were in central Ohio, and I knew there were people in the northeast district capable of handling meetings and so forth, I wouldn't make the either.

Let me guess they are too busy out counting deer.

Besides iirc there is at least one person in the main office that has family in this area.

Last edited:

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
The OBA has had many issues! That's water under the bridge and once the water is past there is no bring it back. many years ago D. Crabtree was President and want to take the shoots to a different district for each shoot. I remember one in particular was held in the Canton area. There were more officers than there were shooter. It has just never work taking the shoots far from central Ohio. Major issue is "leadership". When Steve Meeks was President he was at EVERY DOW meeting and the Wild Life Council meetings. It takes "DETICATED" leaders to make a dent in public perception of what the OBA is all about. Would opening to crossbows help? Maybe, maybe not! Hind sight has always Bede 20/20. Always will be. As long as leader. members, bowhunting public, and ENIMIES OF THE ORGANIZATION (which are many) can not/will not "compromise, the OBA or any group will die a slow death! Brock I have not been on the Advisory Board for a good many years now. Was "removed" as I did not meet the "standards" of the ruling leader at the that time. Have chosen to fad away like any ole soldier! Not blac or white, good or bad, just is.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I looked into joining the OBA a few years back, simply as a way to support the sport of bow hunting that we all know and love. So, I started asking around and talking to other hunters about the organization. Long story short, it just seemed that there were many opinions on the organization and it's direction, none of which seemed unified & positive. I kept my money in my wallet since it seemed like a better investment.

Sounds like we ("Ohio deer hunters") need voice that is actually heard. Whether it's through an organization with a narrow scope that is made up of only archery hunters, or one with a broader wing span that is a membership of anybody purchasing a deer tag. I don't know a fraction of the history that you guys do with the OBA, but it seems that starting fresh with a modern and updated platform would be more welcoming vs. trying to revive an organization seemingly dying on the vine.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Curran- sounds like you nailed it. I was having thoughts similar as I was reading the posts. Sure does seem like there is a call for a more modern and open minded organization. Might be just the thing the sport could use right now.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The OBA has had many issues! That's water under the bridge and once the water is past there is no bring it back. many years ago D. Crabtree was President and want to take the shoots to a different district for each shoot. I remember one in particular was held in the Canton area. There were more officers than there were shooter. It has just never work taking the shoots far from central Ohio. Major issue is "leadership". When Steve Meeks was President he was at EVERY DOW meeting and the Wild Life Council meetings. It takes "DETICATED" leaders to make a dent in public perception of what the OBA is all about. Would opening to crossbows help? Maybe, maybe not! Hind sight has always Bede 20/20. Always will be. As long as leader. members, bowhunting public, and ENIMIES OF THE ORGANIZATION (which are many) can not/will not "compromise, the OBA or any group will die a slow death! Brock I have not been on the Advisory Board for a good many years now. Was "removed" as I did not meet the "standards" of the ruling leader at the that time. Have chosen to fad away like any ole soldier! Not blac or white, good or bad, just is.

Apparently, a lot of folks are "fading away". I haven't been to a function in several years (3 or 4). I was amazed at the low attendance, but fully understand the reason why!

Lundy said:
You have to respect someone for sticking to their convictions, and they certainly did and have. However if you go down with the ship what have you really accomplished?
Lundy,
This may be the statement of the year!

It's taken them a while to get there, but they've certainly have screwed the pooch over the years. It's a shame that they don't see the writing on the wall...or their members jumping ship. Oh well, perhaps another organization will replace them...with better insight.

Bowhunter57